An old site revisited and still producing

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
We had a nice day Yesterday and I got tired of dodging my wife. I decided to get out of the house and do some diggin before she found something for me to do. I didn't have for to go (6 blocks) the the site of Old Powel park. This site was abandoned as a park in 1946 when they built the new city park at the edge of town. (120 Acres) This story shows what you may find with a little research and some luck. My father had in his possession a copy of the hometown newspaper from 1898. I was looking at it one day (about 3 years ago) and noticed a story about the annual 4th of July picnic that was held at Powel park. Being as this is my home town, and I had never heard of "Powel Park" I ask my dad. He told me the history behind the park and where it was located. ZOOOOOOOM I was gone. To make a long story short, I started hunting there every chance I got. This site was also the site of carnivals during the 50's so there was a wide range of coins. Most of the newer coins were located to the north end of the area and the older coins were on the south next to the RR tracks. I took some pix of the area and you can see a large mound of dirt in the back, behind the substation. This area was the location of the ball diamond. I managed to locate some photos of the field from the 20's and it had a very large grandstand area. I managed to dig well over 100 pieces of silver on this site with a large percent being Barbers. When I got the this area yesterday I found that they had graded off a larg area on the north.(Goody-goody) I managed to ger several silver and 1 Indian. This IH has been coated with silver or something. I guess this goes to show you that, the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Les

I added a better pix of the Indian. Don't know whether it is plated or not.

Attachments

• MVC-026F.JPG
    MVC-026F.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 390
  • MVC-024F.JPG
    MVC-024F.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 380
  • MVC-023F.JPG
    MVC-023F.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 394
  • MVC-022F.JPG
    MVC-022F.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 386
  • MVC-021F.JPG
    MVC-021F.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 376
  • MVC-027F.JPG
    MVC-027F.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 269
Upvote 0

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old pounded sites are the best...cause you know ther's still some silver hidin' there. Nice digs.

ctex

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2006
Austin,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
;) Wow. Been a very strange year for me and I haven't got out much, although I know now that I'm gonna follow your lead and get to the library and scour the old newspapers. Those are some nice finds. Congratulations! HH

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds.

Do all those power lines cause you problems?

Must not.

Ken

OP
OP
diggerfororo

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Kas said:
Sweet finds.

Do all those power lines cause you problems?

Must not.

Ken

There is one spot directly behind the substation and under the large lines that makes the signals sound funny. Other than that I don't have any problems. Mine lab users that have hunted with me on this site have some problems. They say it messes up their tones & target I.D. I spotted some targets for them and they said they wouldn't normaly dig those signals. "Live and learn"

Les

IronClad

Aug 29, 2007
N. Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
Silver Eagle, White's Eagle I, White's Eagle II SL, 6000/Di Series 3, Silver Sabre II
I got tired of dodging my wife. I decided to get out of the house and do some diggin before she found something for me to do.

..LMAO... been there.

NICE collection of Silver. Way to go. Those power line would play havoc with me and my detectors. Glad your able to hunt near them.

OP
OP
diggerfororo

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
IronClad said:
I got tired of dodging my wife. I decided to get out of the house and do some diggin before she found something for me to do.

..LMAO... been there.

NICE collection of Silver. Way to go. Those power line would play havoc with me and my detectors. Glad your able to hunt near them.

The area to the left of and directly behind the substation has been the best Barber producer of all. (52)The signals arn't much to listen to. If you only dug clear good sigs, you wouldn't dig much if any.

Les

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread