An old spot I will be hunting soon...EXCITED!

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
My wife just spoke with my mother in law. You might remember me talking about this. She owns a house on a large lot. The house was built in the early 1700s I believe and used to house a cider mill. She said tonight it is fine for me to go up and hunt. She also keyed us in on more information, along with some research my wife did.

Seems there is an old road nearby (no longer is much but an abandoned logging road). However there are some interesting things we found out. First, there is an old rock there called "garnet rock." It is called that because there are a large number of garnets in it. Would like to see that. My wife discovered it as a child. It also seems that the road was a stagecoach road, and it stopped by a natural spring in the area. It is a long abandoned area, and I believe it is owned by the state (though it is not a state park or anything). It is not posted, and hikers often go hiking along this road. This should be an interesting area to investigate. I am especially excited to look in an area that used to be a stage coach stop!

Oh, this is in Western Mass, so it isn't like an Old West stagecoach area. Not sure what coach's used the route, but looking at where it is, the area was developed at the time. It could have either been a local coach, or could have been used as a stopping point for people going between Boston and areas of New York, like Albany.

It is a pretty rough area (wish I had a sniper coil for my ACE). My mother in law wants to go with us, and she suggests we go when it warms up just a little but before the leaves on the trees come out, which means SOON!

I am new at detecting, and this will be my first foray into a valid "old" area. I will certainly let you know what I find! Perhaps one day we can even get a few people up there to investigate this old coach road! It is a pretty big area, and would take me years and years to investigate properly by myself. Any advice on hunting areas like this old coach road and spring would be greatly appreciated!

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Sounds like an exciting spot to hunt. Certainly enough history there to potentially make some great finds. I'll volunteer to hunt it with you if you decide to share your spot with other metal detectorists. I'm in western Connecticut which isn't very far away.

Keep us posted on what you find.

OP
OP
stanjam

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
incajoe said:
Sounds like an exciting spot to hunt. Certainly enough history there to potentially make some great finds. I'll volunteer to hunt it with you if you decide to share your spot with other metal detectorists. I'm in western Connecticut which isn't very far away.

Keep us posted on what you find.

Sounds great! Although my mother in law probably doesn't want a lot of strangers on her land, we could certainly go up to the stagecoach road! Let me investigate the area, and see what it yields, if anything. If I start finding items, I am sure we can get some people together and investigate the old road, and perhaps get some permissions to detect in some old privately owned land in the area. Lord knows I could use the help of experienced hunters! I am in SPringfield, so we could meet and head up. I will let you know what I find on my family outing, and we will proceed from there!

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good luck with your treasure spot. My Grammy had a house in Mass built in 1852 by a returning 49er...he must have had a bit of success to make it home AND build a house. Now I wish I had a detector back in the day when she was telling me about it! Anyhow, she told me one of the best place to search a house for caches was old windows...people used to tie pouches to the lifting-weights in the walls framing the windows. They would remove a board to access it, and since it was indoors, they could do this without being seen and felt safe having their stash nearby. She also pointed out the stepping stones on paths. You probably know all the hot spots already...I'm just remembering the advice of another New Englander. I was ten years old when she told me; she passed a couple of years later. Now I wonder...why did she tell me that!!!
HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions