Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out at 5pm today for some evening coinshooting. I asked to hunt the small front yard of a Victorian house. Usually when I dig wheat pennies, I feel certain there must be some silver around somewhere... After getting permission, my first swing was a 1907 Indian head cent, followed by an 1885 one. Then the wheats started coming. I couldn't move the searchcoil without another one. Three came from one hole! My diggin buddy was poppin' them out right and left on the other side of the front walk. I found 15 wheats and he another 7, all from the teens, twenties, and thirties, but not a silver coin in sight. Amazing. Have you ever had that experience of finding a great many old cents but no silver? Earlier my record was 16 wheats with no silver coin, but 22 wheats and two Indian heads with no silver is pretty astounding--especially in a yard that was only about 25 feet square.

Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found 29 wheats one day in an tiny little area without finding any silver. My buddy did find a silver dime that day, but nowhere near where I found all of the wheats.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... i wouldn't complain, thats a nice lot of old coins...

-GC

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a purdy good day to me BB!

;)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Yepper, had it happen many times.

Silver is a heck of a lot easier to see on the ground than a well-toned penny.

The main reason some yards have more silver is due to the fact that before power lawn mowers many normally aggressive people let their grass grow tall around the house. You can see this in old photo postcards and images from glass negatives. The same was true of some parks.

Badger

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, I'm certainly not complaining. Any time I can bag a couple of Indian Cents its great! It was just unusual though to have so many wheats and no silver. (although I think bscofield has me beat!) There's always the next hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread