An Unusual Old Coin and a Face Full of Buckles!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I returned to the presumed CW campsite that my friends and I have been detecting since March. The finds are getting sparse in the field, so I turned to the woods nearby. There are some cellar holes that are inaccessible this time of year, but I stuck to the path and worked slowly between the trash signals. My first find of the day was the colonial era buckle in a dried creek bed, which is one of only a few colonial era finds at the site. (I have found some early flat buttons on previous outings.) About 10 feet away I got a decent signal but it was masked by iron. Out came not one, but two "D" buckles.

P5130034.JPG

P5130052.JPG

A little while longer I dug what I thought was a dime sized piece of can slaw, but I noticed the clover leaf shape and an inscription on each side that I cannot make out. It appears to be tin. This is the second piece like it found at the site.

P5130049.JPG
P5130050.JPG

Nearby was an old suspender buckle, the button/snap(?) and the unusual handle(?) of some type.

P5130035.JPG
P5130036.JPG

P5130047.JPG

After a more than month long coin drought, I finally got a decent coin sounding signal, which was a mid range signal. I was thinking penny and hoping for an Indian Head since it was more than 5 inches deep. At first I was disappointed, thinking I had dug a brass washer, but upon closer inspection I realized I had dug a cast Chinese coin! This is also the second one found at the site, the first being found by my friend Jason a few weeks back. From what I found online it appears to be 18th century, but if there are any experts out there, please help!

P5130030.JPG
P5130031.JPG

P5130046.JPG
P5130045.JPG

My battery was dying on the V3 at this point so I headed back to the car. While crossiing the dry creek bed, I decided to give it one more search and out came the pewter soup spoon!

P5130037.JPG

Many unusual finds, and here is today's "Face Full of Buckles!"

P5130056.JPG

Upvote 0

bugbitingme

Mar 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack (BH Landstar)
Great finds. Those clovers are interesting and that handle is really fancy, wonder what it screwed onto. The buckle face is cool. Gotta be a lot more good finds around there.

Swingit

Apr 29, 2007
Southwestern, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac Sun Ray X-1, Tesoro Vaquero, Cibola, Tejon
Nice Early Shoe Buckle :headbang:
The Handle Thing Is The Handle For An Old Razor :icon_thumright:
HH!!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
it a old screw down type "razor" handle ---there was a base that fit on the screw type shaft then a disposible dual sided razor blade then a top that the handle screwed into -- to change the blade you took it apart and put a fresh blade in and put it back together again.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice recovery's :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the shoe buckle! Too bad it has no innards. I hope you get a solid ID on the chinese coin.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Nice Finds ! Looks like a good area for hunting.

TommNJ

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet relics and old Chinese coins, Ive also found a handle similar to that one sweet finds.......

U

umrgolf

Hey man, cool colonial buckle... Josh (Sentinel) and I were looking at the peculiar clover you dug and think it's possible that its a crudely made 2nd corps, corps badge.. Again we THINK, obviously not sure because of the damage to the piece but very possible. Jeff

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
umrgolf2000 said:
Hey man, cool colonial buckle... Josh (Sentinel) and I were looking at the peculiar clover you dug and think it's possible that its a crudely made 2nd corps, corps badge.. Again we THINK, obviously not sure because of the damage to the piece but very possible. Jeff

Interesting theory...it goes with all of the finds we have been finding at the field. My friend Jason also found a similar one (I have not seen it yet). There are a few things that would make me doubt it is a corps badge

The Size: It is only the size of a dime
The inscriptions: Although illegible, it is on both sides. I would think that a badge worn by a soldier would only be engraved on one side.

Thanks for the possible ID!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread