Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello folks,

I was in the woods at my favorite hunting spot, you know where I dug up a Morgan dollar two weeks ago. It’s a large Hilled Forrest and I know that there are a lot of areas no one has swung on yet.

Where I’m hunting is called a Headland. A headland is a rock structure on the water. It is not a beach, you cannot walk along the water’s edge, and at the max height, this Headland/viewpoint is 250 feet above sea level. I want to include these notes in my story, because my honey hole was found in the dips and curves of the rock as it undulates upwards towards the peak.

My time at this site has me thrusting uphill through small bushes amongst large Douglasfir trees. Anytime there is a carpet of moss, or just bare dirt, me and my metal detector are happy, and we get some pleasant swinging in there.

Thrashing, climbing, swinging. Thrashing, hiking, swinging. An hour or so in and and I was approaching steep slippery rocks. I followed a narrow deer trail to the left of the large rock mounds. Still stealing in small swings as I trudged upward. After a short climb a small Mossi grassy ledge appears. I can imagine children throwing pinecones and playing Army here. Small hiding places among the rocks are everywhere. Invasive plant species like the Himalayan BlackBerry and scotch broom protrude, and cover good hunting grounds. This park is flanked by an affluent neighborhood, a very poor neighborhood, and a pioneer era small town downtown. I only save those notes to give you an idea of why it’s such an attractive hunting spot, and it explains the variety of targets I dig.

EB0F6A76-1CD4-4F7E-91C2-02C859E41E5A.jpg

Here is the grassy notch that I have deemed a honey hole.

I was happy with the open area to actually swing my coil, and was not surprised by all of the signals around this area. My pouch had 10 full-size soda cans and other ugly targets in it, and my first target was no different. It rang up really high 32 on the Equinox. I was trying to see how small the target was at the edge of my coil. Hold up, it is a very small target. I was on my toes and being careful looking for a silver quarter in the rich black dirt, and sure enough when I saw that rim I snapped a photo.
0D09095A-A460-4060-8ED5-37903DDF918C.jpeg

I was very excited, I thought maybe there would be more. I text a friend and share the excitement, and resume my duties to pull the good targets out of here . Canadian wheat cent, 1920s wheat cents, a buffalo, a Mercury dime, a barber dime(1911 p) and a Washington state tax token where my prizes for that afternoon.

I marched in circles all around looking for a similar ledge. Indeed there were many ledges just like this but they had been either cleaned out or never had goodies in them to begin with. My mind just kept going back and thinking, “this is a honey hole”. Thanks for reading everyone, I would add more details but I have to get going

10DE1D04-40BF-4702-B509-6BFC0051F398.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 31

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great bunch of finds, any one of which would make my day!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Good job once again CF. Way to think outside of the box and hunt in places others haven’t considered. I appreciate the enthusiasm and willingness to share!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the silver!

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very spicy title!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hey I know that spot! its just down from the other area, you know what I mean? me neither. awesome finds at the honey hole

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Congrats! :icon_thumleft: Nice silver! Love the Barber!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hills are the best areas to hunt Ive found many silver coin spills. Well done. Tommy

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very nice collectable spread of dates and silvers!! Well done!! Worth the hike!!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And those coordinates were what, again? 😁 Nice work! 🙌 Keep the finds coming!

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver and it looks like a great spot you have there.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice finds! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions