Ancient Copper

Devin1

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these Copper Artifacts last week. I thought I would share them with people who can appreciate them. There is one piece that is all silver, that I found in the same location as the rest. It appears to be "worked" but it has me kind of stumped. Anyone have an Idea. I think it is either Silver or possibly Mohawkite. It is not Magnetic and has a grey streak. There is some green patina on the reverse side. It came out of the ground all black. I scraped the black off and this is what was underneath the patina. The Copper Artifacts are, Preform spear, 2 Conical points, an Awl, and Bracelet. The other pieces apper to have been worked and annealed, while some apper to be cut off or Float. These were found in Northern WI. They were all found with in 50 yrd radius near water. Enjoy

One more thing I would like to add is that these relics were found on private land, not state or public.

Attachments

• Ancient  copper 007 (1024x683).jpg
    Ancient copper 007 (1024x683).jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 151
  • Ancient  copper 012 (1024x683).jpg
    Ancient copper 012 (1024x683).jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 140
  • Ancient  copper 013 (1024x683).jpg
    Ancient copper 013 (1024x683).jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 158
  • Ancient  copper 020 (1024x683).jpg
    Ancient copper 020 (1024x683).jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Ancient  copper 018 (1024x683).jpg
    Ancient copper 018 (1024x683).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 136
  • Ancient  copper 016 (1024x683).jpg
    Ancient copper 016 (1024x683).jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 156
  • Ancient  copper 014 (1024x683).jpg
    Ancient copper 014 (1024x683).jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Ancient  copper 015 (1024x683).jpg
    Ancient copper 015 (1024x683).jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Devin1

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW...These were found between 3-6" in sandy soil. The Tesoro hit hard on this Copper. Set ground balance, turned up the Discrimination to tune out all the old bullet casings and the rest is "History" literally. Each peice was weighed, location noted exactly to eachother and pictures taken of each where it was found. When digging up something this old "Provenence" is important.

OP
OP
D

Devin1

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, no comments? I thought these finds were awesome. Does the lack of interest have to do with the new DNR laws? If so the mods can go ahead and delete my thread, or I can do it. I'll leave it up for the day. I was hoping someone could help with the "Silver" colored piece. I would still like to know the thoughts of the people who find Ancient Copper on a regular basis. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

swamptick

Dec 15, 2011
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have only found 1 copper artifact here in Indiana so I know how hard this stuff is to find. Congrats on your rare finds!!!

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is one amazing hunt you had. Love the point and what looks to be some type of jewelry item. That silver price is interesting. It is very rare if it is copper culture artifact. Do you have any pictures of it before cleaning .

Many nice items there!

Congrats.

OP
OP
D

Devin1

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one amazing hunt you had. Love the point and what looks to be some type of jewelry item. That silver price is interesting. It is very rare if it is copper culture artifact. Do you have any pictures of it before cleaning .

Many nice items there!

Congrats.

I do have pics of it before it was cleaned. I will upload them. It was less shiny of course and had a green and black Patina. There was silver definately visable when it came out of the ground. I wish I hadnt cleaned it, but its to late to go back now. Everything else you see was left as is, except for some dirt that peeled off easily.

tnkcmdr

Greenie
Feb 10, 2009
North Eastern Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SX
great finds

Found these Copper Artifacts last week. I thought I would share them with people who can appreciate them. There is one piece that is all silver, that I found in the same location as the rest. It appears to be "worked" but it has me kind of stumped. Anyone have an Idea. I think it is either Silver or possibly Mohawkite. It is not Magnetic and has a grey streak. There is some green patina on the reverse side. It came out of the ground all black. I scraped the black off and this is what was underneath the patina. The Copper Artifacts are, Preform spear, 2 Conical points, an Awl, and Bracelet. The other pieces apper to have been worked and annealed, while some apper to be cut off or Float. These were found in Northern WI. They were all found with in 50 yrd radius near water. Enjoy

One more thing I would like to add is that these relics were found on private land, not state or public.

Nice job recording the pieces this is very important. I know its hard not to clean your finds but you should try to leave them as original as possible for potential dating. I dream of the day i stumble onto a site like you have found. this stuff really gets the wheels turning.

Monette

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Devin - I am very interested and thank you for sharing these. Would you say in northwestern Wisconsin? There were copper mines around the Brule River. I'll log this into my database. Thanks!

OP
OP
D

Devin1

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the Copper that I have found more than likely came from Michigan. Keewanaw Penninsula, Isle Royale, Etc. The copper artifacts that date back to the late to mid "Archaic Indians"(4000-6000) years ago are mostly found in North Eastern WI. and Michigan.
However they have been found almost everywhere in our state aswell as many otheres that surround us.
Copper Culture Homestead.com is a very informative site.

OP
OP
D

Devin1

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, and yes, all I can think about is getting some time off so I can get back at it.
Nice job recording the pieces this is very important. I know its hard not to clean your finds but you should try to leave them as original as possible for potential dating. I dream of the day i stumble onto a site like you have found. this stuff really gets the wheels turning.

coinguy1972

Mar 20, 2008
Hayward WI
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer se
BTW...These were found between 3-6" in sandy soil. The Tesoro hit hard on this Copper. Set ground balance, turned up the Discrimination to tune out all the old bullet casings and the rest is "History" literally. Each peice was weighed, location noted exactly to eachother and pictures taken of each where it was found. When digging up something this old "Provenence" is important.

Nice finds! You mentioned that you turned up your dicrimination, I would tell you to turn it back down and dig all that trash. You just might be suprized at what your missing. You also said that you were hunting in North East Wi. I am currently working a site there as well maybe we can compair some notes somtime

OP
OP
D

Devin1

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.M. me sometime we can talk "Copper". It would be nice to hear what you have found. Maybe you can post some of your finds in this thread.

Nice finds! You mentioned that you turned up your dicrimination, I would tell you to turn it back down and dig all that trash. You just might be suprized at what your missing. You also said that you were hunting in North East Wi. I am currently working a site there as well maybe we can compair some notes somtime

OP
OP
D

Devin1

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a pic of the "Silver piece" before I cleaned it up. Anyone have any I deas what it may be? I am sure there is some copper in it, as there was some green oxidation. I am thinking it is silver but still not sure. I was told it was Silver from a curator at a small museum, but that was his guess. Dave from Copperculture.com said it may be Mohawkite. Which is a mix of Cobalt,Nickel,copper, and sometimes silver. Mowhawkite is only found in Mohawk, Michagan. I found it with the rest of the copper artifacts and it does appear to be "worked". If it is from the same time period and "worked" by the same people that made the copper artifacts, this piece would be a very rare find. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again

Attachments

• copper 321 (765x1024).jpg
    copper 321 (765x1024).jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 183
  • copper 322 (765x1024).jpg
    copper 322 (765x1024).jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 208
  • copper 323 (765x1024).jpg
    copper 323 (765x1024).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 207

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread