✅ SOLVED Ancient Egyptian coins

Alaa

Greenie
Jun 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a phone discussion with an Egyptian farm owner to sell what seems to be an Ancient Egyptian golden coins as the pictures, the text is kind of written in Coptic language.
Can you help me specifying what is it please?

Thank you
IMG-20130605-WA0007.jpg IMG-20130605-WA0010.jpg IMG-20130605-WA0011.jpg IMG-20130605-WA0012.jpg

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right it's not so far specially from the one man side, but it can't be fake because it's gold I test it my self by fire in the gold market. I might post scanned image next week with dimensions. Do you recommends to do that here or in What's It Worth forum?

Alaa,

I also live in Egypt. Be wise in your actions. As you also know, many people make fakes.

You cannot test gold "by fire." You need an acid test or some other test. They could be real, as you never know what strange things can end up in Egypt. I'd be VERY careful.

Feel free to PM me.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps you're assuming that the name Alaa, which is (علاء) and means "excellence" or "elevation" in Arabic, is the name Allah (الله).

I hope I'm misunderstanding your intent as intolerant, and bigoted. I hope that you're in fact referencing something else. Either way you should explain yourself. I have reported your post.

I Prefer no explanation, as it would be off topic. But thank you for reporting :thumbsup:

now let's get back to the topic
[h=2]Ancient Egyptian coins[/h]

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Alaa

Greenie
Jun 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alaa,

I also live in Egypt. Be wise in your actions. As you also know, many people make fakes.

You cannot test gold "by fire." You need an acid test or some other test. They could be real, as you never know what strange things can end up in Egypt. I'd be VERY careful.

Feel free to PM me.

Excuse my inexperienced language :-)
. I meant the Goldsmith test for the gold purity using the fire

Upvote 0

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alaa,

You destroyed one or more of the coins?!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Alaa

Greenie
Jun 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alaa,

You destroyed one or more of the coins?!

Don't say that!! did I destroy it? ???

Fortunately it's one only and I did that because most of replies were expecting that it will be a fake then I decided to test the material it self as a gold if it fake or not and it was real gold.

Upvote 0

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alaa,

The only method I know of testing "by fire" is called cupellation, and it involves destroying the coin to see what metal is in it.

How EXACTLY did the goldsmith test the coin? Did he use acid? Did he use a lighter (like they do in Khan Al Khalili)?

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't say that!! did I destroy it? ???

Fortunately it's one only and I did that because most of replies were expecting that it will be a fake then I decided to test the material it self as a gold if it fake or not and it was real gold.

Well if it's real gold , You can't Destroy it.
Not even by hammering the BaJeevers out of it Till it's the size of a Hubcap.
Yes it will depreciate collector value. Gold is still worth it's weight in Gold prices :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of people saying fakes when all they have is a picture.

The coins could be indeed be real Ancient coins, but they are not of pure Gold, more than likely Electrum. Electrum consists primarily of Gold and Silver but is sometimes found with traces of Platinum, Copper, and other Metals. The colour varies depending on the Gold content.

Electrum is mentioned in as early as the Fifth dynasty of Egypt, and was used in the making of coins because it was harder and more durable than Gold. Electrum was used world wide during ancient times for producing coins, I believe these to be just that.

SS

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Alaa

Greenie
Jun 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alaa,

The only method I know of testing "by fire" is called cupellation, and it involves destroying the coin to see what metal is in it.

How EXACTLY did the goldsmith test the coin? Did he use acid? Did he use a lighter (like they do in Khan Al Khalili)?

I thought this test destroyed the historical value of it while it wasn't damaged physically and No acid only strong lighter with starch (powder) and he but it in the fire spot then turn it over the powder.

Gladly I didn't destroy my treasure
:hello2:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Alaa

Greenie
Jun 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if it's real gold , You can't Destroy it.
Not even by hammering the BaJeevers out of it Till it's the size of a Hubcap.
Yes it will depreciate collector value. Gold is still worth it's weight in Gold prices :laughing7:

it's only 9 gm so I can't make Hubcap out of it 8-)

Thanks for comforting me

:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know of a gold test involving a lighter and starch? Sounds like a fake test to me. Other people on this forum know more than I do, though.

I'm sure we'd love to see some fine resolution photos or scans, too. I'm very curious about these coins.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I to would like to see clearer images, the first picture posted of a group, differ from the others.

SS

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Alaa

Greenie
Jun 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know of a gold test involving a lighter and starch? Sounds like a fake test to me. Other people on this forum know more than I do, though.

I'm sure we'd love to see some fine resolution photos or scans, too. I'm very curious about these coins.

I asked you and all others to excuse my inexperience language:dontknow:

All in all, I went again to the goldsmith and capture the following photo for the powder which they are using to specify the purity of the gold (the lift powder for the wight gold and the right one for the regular yellow one)
DSC_0570.jpg

and this is a closer image for yellow gold purity testing powder which he used for my coins

DSC_0571.jpg

I hope you can tell me what is that test name and if it's applicable for ancient coins

Thanks to you and all of the members

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Alaa

Greenie
Jun 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I to would like to see clearer images, the first picture posted of a group, differ from the others.

SS

This is the best mobile photo which can be made :unhappysmiley:

I will try to do that next weekend using scanner.

Upvote 0

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alaa,

I don't think there's any test using powders for gold purity without destroying one of your coins (cupellation).

I think you need a different goldsmith. Find a goldsmith with an acid test. If you want to know what it is, then search google for "gold acid test."

There are also electronic testers, but your best bet is an acid test.

I'm sure everyone is anxious to see those fine resolution images!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread