Ancient items from my ancestor's farm in Central Norway

discoidal roller

May 4, 2012
Clarksburg, MD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the Numedal Valley in Central Norway lies my ancestor's farm, the Kravik farm. The oldest surviving buildings dates to the 1200 and 1300's, making it one of the oldest surviving farms in all of Scandinavia. Over the years, the farm has been separated into 3 farms - Sore (south), Mellom (middle) and Nore (north). The Kravik family still owns and lives in the Mellom and Nore houses. Gotta love that Norwegian pine.

During the middle ages, the Kraviks were likely considered "feudal lords", ruling over the valley. The Kravikfjord runs past there, providing a nice accessible section of river for fishing and navigation.

It is also likely that the original owner was the last of the pagans of Norway. The various wood carvings that still exist have been labelled "profane" or pagan by numerous Norwegian archaeologists and historians. This fact also seemed to have isolated the residents of the valley from the rest of society, so much so that in the late 1800s, the entire valley was still using farming techniques from the middle ages, the only region in Norway that was so "backward".

I had the pleasure of visiting there with my entire family 3 summers ago, and I must say, it was an awe-inspiring journey. We were greeted warmly by the Kravik family, they gave us a full tour and a nice meal. Sure wish I had a metal detector with me!

https://imgur.com/gallery/NDYCL

https://imgur.com/a/mX8Bq

Søre Kravik

Gunnar in the snake pit

Mellom Kravik

a few notes:

The chert ax head was found buried next to a body during archaeological excavation inside of one of the farm buildings. It would seem to be a grave good, confirming their early pagan beliefs.

A stringed instrument now dubbed the "Kraviklyre" was discovered by the Cultural History Museum just hanging on a wall in one of the buildings. It has been now been replicated by dozens of instrument makers, and has become a common instrument of folk festival performers. Here's the most famous Norwegian of the genre, Einar Selvik, performing with it at the farm...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a user name like yours...AND a thread title like that... I couldn't help but to click on this... :)

Cool read.. and thanks for sharing this.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Loved it! To me it sounds like Eric Burden found inspiration from your heritage? The House of the Rising Son.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread