Ancient Ohio Stone artifact?

Mar 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, the other day while walking along an undeveloped valley's secluded creek bed (a small tributary to the West Fork Mill Creek in Hamilton County Cincinnati OHIO) I came across this.
At first I thought it was a large cephalopod or horn coral fossil, but after picking it up and looking closer I realized it is not a fossil but perhaps a "pecked & ground" hardstone artifact (maybe a rolling pestle). Upon doing more research on the ancient history of Hamilton county and Cincinnati I came to discover that this area used to be covered with old mounds and habitats from Hopewell and Adena cultures that for the most part were all removed and built over at the turn of the century.

Im not 100% sure of what the rock is, tho at the top (where it is not refined) I can see a few tiny shell fossils so I presume it is some type of sedimentary rock. Very hard though; I tried to scratch a little at the top (the raw end) and it didn't even make a mark.

If anyone out there has an idea as to what this is, or any info, please let me know. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it!
Thanks
-Dylan
IMG_7500.JPG IMG_7501.JPG IMG_7503.JPG IMG_7505.JPG IMG_7506.JPG

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you might have something there. Post it on the Indian Artifact forum where there are more experts.

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Dylan! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - people may have more success helping you (if necessary)...
tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved from Today's Finds! over to Forum: What Is It? for more exposure.

Upvote 0

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
YEP ITS STONE , SAME TYPE WIFE HIT ME UP SIDE THE HEAD WITH WHEN I MENTION DETECTING . THATS A COOL FIND.

Upvote 0

VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Dylan. I'd go with pestle but flat end is unusual. SWEET find .Lot of great Indian stuff comes from ohio:occasion14:

Upvote 0

suntannedgem

Jan 29, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Pro with 9.5", 12" & Super Sniper coils, Garrett Treasure Hound Deep Depth Multiplier, Garrett Pin Pointer Pro II, Bounty Hunter Legacy 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Kensie_Rowland

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have been finding an awful lot in Mill Creek Valley myself, trying to find people interested in preservation efforts

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread