Ancient site destroyed!!!!!!!!!!!

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!! What an unbelievable loss of historical significance!! Looks like the ball was dropped a million times with this site being documented in 1907. There is a lot of blame to be smeared around on this little item of interest! In the latter stages of destruction I'm sure money under the table played a big part in decision making with all parties. I'm really taken back that the tribal counsel didn't take action long ago. I just hope that in the year and a half of study, that was allowed, that history was not all lost!! This is a travesty! Shame should be an item of consideration at the next Tribal Counsel, because of the long term knowledge of the existence of the site and the loss of passion to learn of their own ancestry. Like I said there is plenty of blame to be shouldered by all involved !

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have mixed feelings about this story. I can see the Indians not wanting their burial grounds disturbed, but can't understand why the government can shut down one of the most productive agriculture sections in California to protect a minnow or small fish, but can't protect ancient burial grounds from development.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...yes there was definitely some "palm-greasing" somewhere down the chain of command. Behold the almighty dollar...sorry to hear that..ddf

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Sounds like the natives made the decision and approved of the removal and new site for the burial.

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Ground-penetrating radar...LOL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can not believe that a state that has such strict laws regarding the collecting of Indian artifacts would let this slide. Even more this happened in Marin county which is in my opinion, extremely liberal. Than again, I'm sure some corrupt politicians were involved. I'm really surprised that I have not heard about a bunch of people protesting on freeway overpasses...

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Ground-penetrating radar...LOL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have mixed feelings about this story. I can see the Indians not wanting their burial grounds disturbed, but can't understand why the government can shut down one of the most productive agriculture sections in California to protect a minnow or small fish, but can't protect ancient burial grounds from development.

And now those protected smelt are nothing more than food for the stripped bass that have moved into the area and decimated the population!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread