Attachments

• OKI.jpg
    OKI.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 338
Upvote 0

Back to Florida

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2005
I was actually in Turkey a few months ago. Coins and antiquities were cheaper there than anywhere else in Europe. Large, very high quality ancient Roman coins were less than a buck, as were Ottoman coins, Greek coins, etc. The reason they are so cheap? It is a serious violation of Turkish law to remove anything over 100 years old from the country. You can purchase and sell within the country, but being caught leaving with one ancient coin will land you in the legendary Turkish Prison. Yikes!
Those are great coins, congrats to whoever smuggled them out! I'm sure those strict antiquity laws make ancient coins from Turkey even more valuable outside the country than contemporary coins from other regions.

HH

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BRLA in disguise? Do you have a picture of the coins reverse? They look like Roman Barberous's, Constantinople or Byzantine? How did you find these? If you are detecting in Turkey and looking to export these coins, you are one crazy person!!! HH, Mike

cthunter76

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2005
All these are common coins in poor condition for high resale value, all are 3rd to 4th century A.D. Roman coins. Severina, Aurelian, Valerian II, Constantius, to name a few. None of those pictured are collectively worth more than aprox $50 on Ebay or at a coin show, wholesale priced they are $2 coins that can be purchased from Bulgarians or Mid East wholesalers at any major coin show on earth. Dont stress (it doesnt mean there arent rare ones you didnt find yet!) I usually have to dig 100 or more ancients to find a rare/scarce one and much more to find one with smooth surfaces. Ancient coins are complicated to grade and value, if you ever need a professional attribution or value from someone with 12 years in the business please email me direct.

Best,

Rob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions