Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't get out to hunt but once this week. Lisa and I had decided to see if we could find a couple of sites that we've been meaning to get to that we'd found on an old map. The first one was in a cut out make by the electric company. We learned from one of our land owners that the site we were looking for was a blacksmith shop back in the day. Kinda' made that one a iffy site after learning that bit of info. We did find it and allll the iron that it had to offer and I came away from there with two little round bullets in my pocket for keepers. Because of all the debris and iron it was quickly placed on the back burner.
We hopped across the road and doodled around for a while. Found two dimes and penny. Talked to the owner and he took us to see the old spring that they kept their milk in long ago, to keep it cool. Had to crawl through privet to get to it. Neat place even though the creek had run dry. Another place to keep in mind for later.
Left there and headed for the old Dr's place. It's one of the first sites that I ever hunted. Some of you may remember it. My best coin so far was found there.....

1800house2.jpg

Out on the back forty there is an old homesite that we were wanting to locate. After an hour or so scanning where we thought it might be, we sat down and studied the map a bit more. Decided that the place we needed to be was in a spot that we didn't want to get into at the moment, so we headed back up to the old house. Darkness was quickly coming in, so we only had a few minutes to spend there. First dig was a button looking item that has what looks like D A D and then two stars on the side and what looks like J R...or maybe even U R? on the bottom side. Next dig was a lead square? ??? Wiped it off and noticed some little marks on it. A die! I hollered over to Lisa and told her that I thought I had found a gaming die. But it's lead? Who would make a lead gaming die? And it's so tiny! ??? Well. Neat find, I thought, but nothing special about it. Packed up and left for the house. Got home, mentioned the die to Charlie and while I'm cooking dinner, he does a bit of googling for lead dice. He found a site that said sometimes soldiers from the CW would make them out of bullets and sit around in down time and play. I thought, wow! Maybe I do have a keeper here! My next thought was to mail a couple of my friends on here that I knew were knowledgeable on CW era items and see what their thoughts were on it. BuckleBoy answered with a reply that I was thrilled to read! A 'YES they did' reply! ;D Thanks so much for taking the time, Will! :)

Here's pics of the die and the other finds from the day...
IMG_7639-1.jpg

IMG_7642-1.jpg

IMG_7656.jpg

IMG_7659.jpg

Upvote 0

SCMDing

Jan 4, 2007
Rock Hill, SC
It is possible that it may date even older. Here is an article on Jamestown with some of the cool dice that they used to make. You will notice that they mention on the second image I posted that they made lead dice as well. To me, her dice does look a little like the second stacked dice on the right and a little like the one on the bottom left!

Just a little more to peak your curiosity :) And as you can see from the part of the article I posted, these are from around 1600.

Dice1.jpg

Dice2.jpg

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I believe this is very exciting. This is a very nice find. I also like the pictures of the old house.

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. I really like that little die you found. Bet that there are a lot of Civil War hunters that don't have one of those. WTG :thumbsup:

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The die is an awesome find, amongst all your others Nana :thumbsup:

Mike

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ya'll! :) And thanks for that great info, SC...but I couldn't imagine finding anything that old around here! :o That being said, I sure was shocked when I found the dime! :D

Thanks again! Nana :wink:

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds Nana, I know a guy who was digging a target and in the same hole he found a pair of dice carved out of bone.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Nana, I want to go hunting with you, and, Lisa!! :) The die is so cool! First one I've ever seen. I think it should be a Banner find too. :thumbsup:

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
What I love about this hobby the most is you learn something new every day. I love the die, and the history behind it! :thumbsup:

Great job on the research, and cool digs Girl!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Nana,

Those are some cool relics! There are more oldies waiting to be uncovered. Go back and get them!

99Brown

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2006
Illinois
What, no tax tokens? :-\ Kidding....awesome find Nana....I have never seen a dice like that before. Congrats!!

99Brown

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tim! :) While researching I read a lot on the dice being made of bone. That would be awesome to find a set of those! :o

Thanks Phantom! :)

Come on over, Pepper! We'll go huntin'! :)

Yes, we do, CG. And all the great folks here that help us ID them. :) Thanks!

May be next week before I can get back there, Neil..but we'll get there. Thanks! :)

Yer too kind, Evy! :-*

Can you believe it, 99! :D Thanks! :wink:

Have a great Thanksgiving ya'll! I've so much to be thankful for. :)

thanksgiving.gif

Attachments

• thanksgiving.gif
    thanksgiving.gif
    64.8 KB · Views: 973

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice die, well made. The one's I've seen are a lot cruder(?) Good stuff, Nana!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I bet the other one (Die) is nearby still waiting to be found !

Then you'll have dice. That would be awesome!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bullets nana. Oh, and the die aint bad either! :D M :thumbsup: nty

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Woohoo! :o

Nana, you kill with that MXT! That is truly a find of a lifetime. I would love to find something like that. Mastereagle would too.

If he was hunting with you and you found that, he would say something like "Dang, you always find Civil War Stuff like that and I never do!" About and hour later he would come walking toward you with a complete civil war saber and a handful of carved dice that were nicer than yours. He would then say, "Oh, I guess I had a pretty good day, I can't complain" (Insert tittering with that.) :tard:

:tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread