Anderson lower shaft for CTX

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!

UncleTom

Jun 3, 2006
SEABROOK TEXAS
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I and II, CTX-3030, Equinox 600, X-terra 70,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can wait a few weeks they will have the new two piece shaft for travel as the stock one is long!

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got one from a dealer in CT. When I wanted another for my 17" coil, he was out of stock. I was pleased with the fit and function. This rod is actually a much better fit on the larger coil than stock as the cable enters the shaft higher helping to eliminate wear from flexing the coil.

OP
OP
B

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Good to know, but I have a Pelican case for my machine, with no room for anything else in it. I could buy another foam kit for it and recut...

If you can wait a few weeks they will have the new two piece shaft for travel as the stock one is long!

OP
OP
B

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Good to hear. Thanks for the feedback.

I got one from a dealer in CT. When I wanted another for my 17" coil, he was out of stock. I was pleased with the fit and function. This rod is actually a much better fit on the larger coil than stock as the cable enters the shaft higher helping to eliminate wear from flexing the coil.

CCadrin

Mar 24, 2008
I have two and I just purchased my second one last week from Kellyco. The fit is the same size. As for functionality, the open for the coil is higher so there is less stress on the cable. The other item is that they use a plastic screw (and they provided a second one) versus the little knob to guide it into place. The knobs can wear out while the screw can just get replaced. The first one I bought was from Colonial Metal Detectors.

I bought the second one for my 17" coil. My first outing I loved it. My second outing I hated it. I am trying to decide to keep the 17" or not. If I sell, I may sell the Anderson since I have more lower rods than coils.

rtp_guy

Jan 22, 2014
Durham, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Minelab CTX 3030
Fischer Gold Bug 2
Garrett AT Gold
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's MX5
Titan 9000
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two and I just purchased my second one last week from Kellyco. The fit is the same size. As for functionality, the open for the coil is higher so there is less stress on the cable. The other item is that they use a plastic screw (and they provided a second one) versus the little knob to guide it into place. The knobs can wear out while the screw can just get replaced. The first one I bought was from Colonial Metal Detectors.

I bought the second one for my 17" coil. My first outing I loved it. My second outing I hated it. I am trying to decide to keep the 17" or not. If I sell, I may sell the Anderson since I have more lower rods than coils.

I just picked up my 17" coil. Haven't had it out yet, but curious why you hated it?

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm interested to hear what you didn't like about the 17" also?
How much are theses new shafts?
BT

OP
OP
B

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
I love the 17" coil. I use it almost as much as the 11" coil.

Heck, I coinshoot with it.

CCadrin

Mar 24, 2008
The reason why I hated it was my elbow got sore after a three hour (I do have the harness but I did not use it over my winter coat) hunt AND trying to pinpoint. The first time out the beach I hunted did not have many targets and it was finding stuff pretty deep. The second time out at a different beach had a lot of can slaw and pull tabs and trying to retrieve targets was a pain.

Here is a little hint that I do at the beach. I run pretty much open screen except for the lower left corner. I define my user defined button as pinpoint mode so I can toggle. Pinpoint sizing is my normal setup but it is hard to determine center. I then hit the user defined button to go to normal pinpoint mode which reduces the location down as you swing over the target.

rtp_guy

Jan 22, 2014
Durham, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Minelab CTX 3030
Fischer Gold Bug 2
Garrett AT Gold
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's MX5
Titan 9000
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason why I hated it was my elbow got sore after a three hour (I do have the harness but I did not use it over my winter coat) hunt AND trying to pinpoint. The first time out the beach I hunted did not have many targets and it was finding stuff pretty deep. The second time out at a different beach had a lot of can slaw and pull tabs and trying to retrieve targets was a pain.

Here is a little hint that I do at the beach. I run pretty much open screen except for the lower left corner. I define my user defined button as pinpoint mode so I can toggle. Pinpoint sizing is my normal setup but it is hard to determine center. I then hit the user defined button to go to normal pinpoint mode which reduces the location down as you swing over the target.

Thanks for the feedback. I put in a couple hours with the 17" this afternoon. The size & weight were fine, but I was in target overload since it was a high trash area. Since I'm still somewhat new to the CTX platform, it was like pulling teeth to isolate the targets I wanted.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can go 2 hours without a harness on the 17 before I will have to pay for it the rest of the week. Some of you bodybuilders may not need one, but I highly recommend a harness with the 17.

Yes, pinpointing is a bit tougher with the 17, but with a bit of practice (2-3 hunts +/-, depends on you, your ground, and the # of targets you dig) you should get as good as with the stock coil.

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find the Minelab Wiggle works best for locating.
Hardly ever use the pinpoint.
The Wiggle is fast and accurate.
BT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread