annie oakley 1899

josh100

Greenie
Jan 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone im new on here i was handed down some coins 2 of them are british pennies dated 1899 and 1898 both of them have the word A.OAKLEY and a bullet hole in each i got them from my grandad who worked in a circus in england just after any info i have no knoledge of coins so anything will be helpfull thanks in advance 20140117_194817_LLS.jpg 20140117_195002_LLS.jpg 20140117_194927_LLS.jpg

Upvote 4

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting, I would think if you have a way to show ties to your grandfather (photos, newspaper, circus literature) they could be worth big money. I'm no expert, just watch "Pawn Stars" and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

OP
OP
J

josh100

Greenie
Jan 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi thanks for the reply i will have to check his stuff for circus related items. I think he only use to pack stuff up and transport all the gear how uncommon are these coins sorry for the questions just wantes to fi d out as much as possible thanks

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tagging post

interesting piece!

Its a 'British Penny'.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting, I would think if you have a way to show ties to your grandfather (photos, newspaper, circus literature) they could be worth big money. I'm no expert, just watch "Pawn Stars" and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

You could have saved 15 percent on your car Insurance by switching to GEICO! LOL!! Just thought I would throw that one in since we see GEICO Commercials every few minutes.

On another note, I agree that if you can show that the coins are from your grandfather, that he worked for a Circus where Annie Oakley performed and that the coins were from her' trick shooting performances, then they would be worth quite a bit of British Coin, no pun intended. While Annie may have done a lot of shows, it is doubtful that a lot of the coins that she shot in the shows, actually survived and are available today.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

josh100

Greenie
Jan 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi there frank i have just been going through the rest of my grandads bits didn't manage to find any circus related items i asked my father and he said he just worked for a circus that toured around europe in the early 19th century shame really would have been nice to find some sort of connection thanks again for everyones help still can't be leave how much there is to all these different coins great site here

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could have saved 15 percent on your car Insurance by switching to GEICO! LOL!! Just thought I would throw that one in since we see GEICO Commercials every few minutes.

On another note, I agree that if you can show that the coins are from your grandfather, that he worked for a Circus where Annie Oakley performed and that the coins were from her' trick shooting performances, then they would be worth quite a bit of British Coin, no pun intended. While Annie may have done a lot of shows, it is doubtful that a lot of the coins that she shot in the shows, actually survived and are available today.

Frank
I have shot coins before with different caliber guns. We use to do it quite a bit as kids. It never was hard to find the coins after we shot them.

hi there frank i have just been going through the rest of my grandads bits didn't manage to find any circus related items i asked my father and he said he just worked for a circus that toured around europe in the early 19th century shame really would have been nice to find some sort of connection thanks again for everyones help still can't be leave how much there is to all these different coins great site here
I really don't know how to research it, maybe Annie Oakly signed her coins after shows, maybe this is already a known fact. The only way maybe would be to find as many articles/literature about her. Would not surprise me in the least, I swear I remember seeing film on her doing gun shooting tricks?

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Welcome to t-net! :hello: :occasion18: Wonderful that your family saved the Annie Oakley coins! Annie Oakley was a brilliant, compassionate, extremely talented woman, who learned to shoot well as a young teen in order to help feed her family! Then she began entering & winning shooting contests against men in northeastern USA where she grew up. Later came her western usa & European tours. Several excellent books on her long, adventurous, successful life, fun to read about. Value of your coins? :dontknow: Even if worth a lot, seems much richer to keep your coins in your family to pass down to the next generations. HAVE FUN! :laughing7: Andi

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Josh,

Welcome to TNet & thanks for showing your shot coins. You may find this episode of History Detectives of interest: Annie Oakley Coin | History Detectives | PBS

A previous thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/215901-always-shoot-cartridges-coin.html

Are you in the UK? How was the "A. Oakley" applied to the coin? Is it stamped? Any idea on what caliber cartridge might have pierced them?

Aside from the 1887 & 1889 European tour of The Wild West, I cannot find another reference to her touring Europe: Timeline . Annie Oakley . American Experience . WGBH | PBS

OP
OP
J

josh100

Greenie
Jan 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there thanks for all the info some really great little facts there yes im in the uk it looks like it has been stamped into the coin im unsure of the caliber i could measure the hole would that help just checked ebay one was on the completed sales with very poor quality photos i know my photos were not great either thanks again really appreciate everyones help

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions