Annie Oakley- "American Icon" relic found!

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Annie Oakley- "American Icon" relic found!

Hello everyone :hello:

I wanted to share with everyone a find that I found a few days ago when I was out with TreasureFiend and D-Dub. This particular find never made it in my goodie pouch, but rather in my junk pouch since it was so caked with mud when I dug it, and thought nothing of it but another piece of scrap copper or something of that sort. Well, when weather doesn't permit me to get out and detect, I go through my junk pouch, rinse everything off, and normally throw it all away in the garbage.....

Until I came across this piece. I started to rinse off the mud and saw some writing on it. Okay, I thought maybe another neat token. But as I started cleaning it more, more and more writing was appearing on it. Until I revealed a name of "ANNIE OAKLEY" (1860-1926) on it. I remember this name from some Discovery Channel show that I saw, and decided to do some more research on it.

Am I glad I did! I immediately stopped cleaning/rinsing it more, and will wait to figure out how I should tackle this cleaning job, or just leave it as it is right now. The entire inscription reads: "SHOT WITH REMINGTON-UMC RIFLE" on the outer brim, and "ANNIE OAKLEY" in the middle with a 'Bullseye' shot through this token/memorabilia. It still has some lead remains left in the center from the bullet. The reverse reads: "SHOT WITH REMINGTON-UMC CARTRIDGE" around the outside brim, "ANNIE OAKLEY" towards the center, with an "A" on the reverse side of the shot point.

I believe the writing is written in a way for her to get better aim at her target. I have searched a few different images of targets she shot, but are usually hit twice and off center, and this one is shot once and DEAD CENTER! It also has a little whole in it from where it was hung. I'm under the impression she may have had a show around here, shot this target, and it was never recovered until now. (Or maybe some kid was wearing it and lost it...we'll never know the whole story"
But nevertheless, she was an "American Icon"

Here is a wiki link on her history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annie_Oakley

Additional history:

http://www.kids-n-cowboys.com/annie-oakley.html

I have also come across some of her signed targets that brought in some serious $$$. BUT, I have not come across a single one like this with a single shot BULLSEYE hit.

This just goes to show everyone to check their "junk" pouch when they come back from a hunt. Not all treasure is Silver or gold. I think I may be able to fetch a pretty penny for this one. It will definitely help with my wedding expenses. :thumbsup:
Enjoy the pics! The first three pics are of it dry, and the rest are wet with water to get a little more detail out.

The coolest thing for me about this find is that it was actually shot by her! WOW! I'm super happy.

Attachments

• wetannie1.jpg
    wetannie1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,230
  • wetannie2.jpg
    wetannie2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,269
  • wetannie3.jpg
    wetannie3.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,237
  • annie1.jpg
    annie1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,238
  • annie2.jpg
    annie2.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,240
  • annie3.jpg
    annie3.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,230
  • annie4.jpg
    annie4.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,233
  • annie5.jpg
    annie5.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,223
Upvote 0

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Annie Oakley- "American Icon" relic found!

Very cool find. :icon_thumright:

Presuming it was indeed shot by Annie Oakley, it would date to 1912-1925. In 1912 Remington and UMC (Union Metallic Cartridge Company) joined and by 1925 Annie had to pretty much stop performing as her health was deteriorating.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very cool...looks like you have some research ahead of you. Try to nail down any Oakley shows in your area and then try to find another token like the one you found. I would probably contact an expert in the field as well...

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1

Incredible find Jon! Glad you didn't pitch it with the rest of the scrap.
I'd rather dig that then a Seated Half any day.. Hope to see it next time we hunt together.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That is a really interesting find Jon! :notworthy:
Quite the piece of American Western history and in great condition too!
I'd think as a collectible it would hold considerable value! :icon_scratch:

Dave

ihavetone

Oct 24, 2010
Newark, Ohio
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO

great find .. she rates up with buffalo bill.... american icons from not so long ago.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

that is indeed a shooting show type shot token * annie was kin to me -- abiet far removed * (distant cousin to my grandma) --she used 22 rifles for most of her shooting stunts --her nickname was "lil miss sure shot" -- frank bulter was her crush -- annie grew up dirt poor and had to shoot small game to help feed her family * due to that fact she was a crack shot on "flying game birds" -- she learned to hit small on the fly moving targets on the wing -- the birth of her stunt shooting talents came from that .

U

umrgolf

wow, that thing is really cool :headbang: and youre probably right about it fetching some $$$ :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Lookn4Seated

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
that is indeed a shooting show type shot token * annie was kin tome -- be abiet far removed * (distant cousin to my grandma) --she used 22 rifles for most of her shooting stunts --her nickname was "lil miss sure shot" -- frank bulter was her crush -- annie grew up dirt poor and had to shoot small game to help feed her family * due to that fact she was a crack shot on "flying game birds" -- she learned to hit small on the fly moving targets on the wing -- the birth of her stunt shooting talents came from that .

That is super cool! I think this "Disc" may have been shot by a lever action .45. The more I read on her the more I am amazed. She was really short like my wife. Just amazes me how good she was.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow!! That is one of my favorites on the site so far! Once in a life time for sure.

Banner

Brian

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Now theres something you don't see dug all the time...interesting history. Most definately a keeper. HH and thanks for sharing.

tommyboy72

Aug 7, 2008
Benton,IL.62812
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites Prizm IV & Garrett Pro-Pointer

This needs to be up on the banner!!!!!

ewcoinhunter

Mar 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-Trac and Sun-Ray Probe

TF, I do not think it was a .45, probably a .22 short!. That disc as you call it does not look very big, and if it were a .45 it would have left a larger dent so to speak. From what I know, Annie did shoot a .22 lever action rifle also. Again great find!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

yep annies main stay rifle for most of her trick shooting was a remingtom model 12 pump action --22 cal rifle * the little hole was most likely drilled in it afterwards to be wore around the lucky catchers neck -- after shooting em annie would toss the into the crowds for "keep sake" items --these trick shooting shows were quite popular back in the day.

novafinder

Mar 18, 2011
nova scotia
Detector(s) used
teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

great little part of american history you got there i bet the remington co would be interested in that

nhagan

Jul 27, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac

dang man I love it! great find!!

Neil

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:notworthy: It's amazing what's left in the ground around us. That was good thinking on your part to visually check those items before tossing them. "Good Catch" my brother. :notworthy: :thumbsup:

Goldinwater

Nov 1, 2007
Hurst,Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Stingwray,Cz20, Excaliber, Spectrum xlt, Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very cool find, get back there, I bet there may be another. A banner find for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread