Annual Virginia Relic Hunting Vacation Yields Spanish Silver, Seated and More.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Since moving from Virginia 7 years ago, I have returned either once or twice a year to Visit my good friend and old digging partner Bill Dancy for some relic hunting and Virginia hospitality. I always tell Bill that my goal is to dig a flat button, which are tough to come by on the west coast. I ended up with 35 buttons. We were able to connect for hunts with Dan and Joey and spent a day touring some Virginia sites including James Town and my old neighborhood. I always look forward to this trip for its history, companionship and relaxation. Bill, Dan and Joey landed us on some quality early sites dating from the mid 1600s through the mid 1800s and all produced. Bill is a first class host and friend and I will be looking forward to this trip until next year. Thanks again Dan and Joey, I had a great time despite torrential down pours and bone chilling wind. I ended up with a couple of firsts including 2 half dimes, a 1 piece VA cuff button, and pewter musket balls. Also walked over some spanish silver on the last day at a site we have been trying to get into for years. Although the lost Confederate camp we were seeking never turned up, we located at least 3 early home sites, all of which yielded nice brass and coins. We barely scratched the surface at these sites, which will definitely give up some more fine Virginia history. Pictures speak for themselves. Thanks again Bill!
-Evan

Attachments

• IMG_4023.jpg
    IMG_4023.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_4026.jpg
    IMG_4026.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_4033.jpg
    IMG_4033.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_4032.jpg
    IMG_4032.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_4038.jpg
    IMG_4038.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 153
  • clifton4.jpg
    clifton4.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 147
  • clifton5.jpg
    clifton5.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 126
  • clifton6.jpg
    clifton6.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 17

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible hunt and a bunch of killer finds. Way to go!

smokedaddy

Mar 4, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum / Fisher 1266X / Minelab Sovereign Elite/ Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice haul there guys. You knocked the ball out of the park on that hunt

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That was quite a haul you took home Evan. I should've made you apply for an export license ... lol! Had fun those 5 days but you wore me out and my legs and lower back are still a bit on the sore side. But that won't stop me from getting out, especially since the season's in it's 11th hour. Great seeing and hunting with you again. Now go dig a few more of those western privies.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an awesome vaca Evan! Nice buttons, old silver coins and other relics....all the ingredients for some great hunts

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds! Love all of it, but especially the tudor rose sleeve link and the sword hanger.

Cheers,

Buck

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
You connected with the right crew to come up with those magnificent finds!
The silver collar stud? with the rose on it sure is interesting, I like that!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was great seeing and hunting with you again Evan. Sorry you didn't find that elusive Confederate camp or a capped bust but two seated half dimes, Spanish silver and really cool buttons are all mighty impressive. Those few days of finds are better than my finds for the whole year. I look forward to seeing you again next year and hopefully I can spend more than one day hunting with you guys. Keep in touch, Joey.

OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Thanks for all the nice comments, nothing like saving early history with good friends.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great assortment of finds that made it worthwhile for sure. Liking the silvers and the rose stud, and the toy gun is a great little find, well done.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome puddle of Virginia nectar there Evan! Two seated half dimes in 5 days..... I haven't found one in 25 years!! Love that star button and the tudorish rose cuff button/stud.

OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Thanks Steve. Those 2 half dimes were my first and found a couple of hours apart. As you know In VA anything can pop up at anytime. Good luck with your upcoming season.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions