anonymous western collector

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Interesting read, thanks for the link Greg. If the guy is that passionate about hunting artifacts, move to a state with more realistic and lenient laws. I agree with alot of what he's saying, a little over romanticized perhaps but he / she still brings up some good points.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So much for the wild wild west. Maybe if people did like the guy in the Mo, Video(no respect). Just hunted and not collected but bashed every arrowhead we saw because you cant collect that would be ok? Take a picture then Ball peen it and post it , the picture on forums out West where they enforce and prosecute the surface gatherer. Maybe they would re-think the laws that are ridiculous.
Maybe he should have written in the link... You did read Gregs link right? :read2:

http://arrowheadology.com/letter-from-a-concerned-citizen/

I stood in amazement looking down in the moon light at the 12,000 year old clovis. The fluting catching the moonlight. The point was near the edge of the rushing water rescued on dry land by inches. I slowly snapped an in-situ photograph . Perfect. I reached for my pack and got out my trusty ball peen hammer and with much cereomony and revrence dispatched the point into hundreds of pieces for its last photograph. I then swept them with my hand into the rushing river. The excitement was overwhelming. I got the picture and now the point would never be seen again. Just as it should be. The rising water from the rains above would have taken it in minutes. Was lucky to have saved it. One of the best for my collection.
The new generation of Hunter.
The ball peen hunter.
Cant wait to post it on the" Broken Past" site.

Not really funny is it? You have more right to do this it seems then to pick it up.
Know your laws.
Good post Greg

C

Cappy Z.

When will we get a govt that actually is honest, non criminal, and governs with the interest of the common man in mind?

When pigs fly! (to quote the author)

Bluesy

Jul 27, 2009
Missouri
I don't know what state the author is from but I guess I'm just a rules kind of girl. I am blessed to have private property on which to hunt but, even if I didn't, I would never hunt without permission or hunt on public property and I definitely would not sneak around in the middle of the night.

It is a stupid law that if you are walking through a state or national park and happen to see a point on the surface you are not allowed to pick it up but the law is the law. Those that break the law reflect poorly on all of us and, when caught, will only bring negative attention to our hobby which will spur our legislators to dream up even tighter restrictions

Another problem with the author's "method" is that important history is being lost every single time he collects an artifact because he can't keep records about his discoveries.

Just my opinion. Interesting thread, Greg.

C

Cappy Z.

but I guess I'm just a rules kind of girl.

Just my opinion. Interesting thread, Greg

???

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
The point of the law (pardon the pun) is the same as the airport security nonsense and the all rest of it.

To condition people to obey.

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
TnMountains said:
So much for the wild wild west. Maybe if people did like the guy in the Mo, Video(no respect). Just hunted and not collected but bashed every arrowhead we saw because you cant collect that would be ok? Take a picture then Ball peen it and post it , the picture on forums out West where they enforce and prosecute the surface gatherer. Maybe they would re-think the laws that are ridiculous.
Maybe he should have written in the link... You did read Gregs link right? :read2:

http://arrowheadology.com/letter-from-a-concerned-citizen/

I stood in amazement looking down in the moon light at the 12,000 year old clovis. The fluting catching the moonlight. The point was near the edge of the rushing water rescued on dry land by inches. I slowly snapped an in-situ photograph . Perfect. I reached for my pack and got out my trusty ball peen hammer and with much cereomony and revrence dispatched the point into hundreds of pieces for its last photograph. I then swept them with my hand into the rushing river. The excitement was overwhelming. I got the picture and now the point would never be seen again. Just as it should be. The rising water from the rains above would have taken it in minutes. Was lucky to have saved it. One of the best for my collection.
The new generation of Hunter.
The ball peen hunter.
Cant wait to post it on the" Broken Past" site.

Not really funny is it? You have more right to do this it seems then to pick it up.
Know your laws.
Good post Greg
when I first read the letter i said to myself this guy should be writing for national geographic or field and stream and he should get in a 12 steps program for addiction,personally i would have moved as thirty7 suggeseted.The laws stink out west and everything he said rings true with me but i would not break a federal/state law that could send me to prison.he is very aware of the laws so i dont know how sympathetic i would be if he got busted.On the other hand he shouldnt have to be sneaking around either to collect indian artifacts.So how do we get the laws changed??I dont know the answer to that question but I really like your idea Tn mts.That surely would get someones attention,blast a few videos on utube and face book,twitter etc. heck send the video to CNN,I bet they would run the story.Now we are getting someones attention and maybe the rite person sees how ridiculous the laws are and maybe will actually do something about it.The law doesnt say you cant destroy the artifact!you just cant keep it.You are brilliant Tn mts,and you should be writing for field and stream,digged the spin off story.lol. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread