another 1920 SLQ and other good things

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
My buddy, Ed, and I hunted an old athletic field complex yesterday. The place has been hunted to death in the past. In fact, I found some very nice silver pieces there last year. So, Ed wanted to give it another shot. He went to one end of the complex to hunt and, after some roaming around the area, I went to the other end where I did well last year. I think I made the better choice. First, I found a deep mercury dime along a cross country running path, which goes all around the complex. I continued along the running path and along side a softball field about 20 feet out from third base, I got a sweet silver signal about 8 inches deep in some uncut grass. I was pretty sure it was a real good target. That e-trac is great on silver dimes and quarters. It turned out to be another beautiful 1920 Stander, the third one I've found recently. Ed had to leave about quarter to four. I didn't feel like quitting, so, I went to another park area and got lucky again, finding a 1917 merc in a hole with a 1909 wheatie. I also found a neat key-knife lost by some dad a few years ago.

Here's the Stander, which by the way, needed no cleaning at all. Splashing some bottled water on it lifted the caked-on dirt right off of it:

3rd20stander 002.JPG 3rd20stander 001.JPG

The Mercs: 3rd20stander 004.JPG 3rd20stander 003.JPG

The '09 wheatie: 3rd20stander 007.JPG 3rd20stander 008.JPG

And the key-knife: 3rd20stander 005.JPG 3rd20stander 006.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds ! That knife is so cool !
Glen

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score on some nice silvers, especially that choice old SLQ :thumbsup:

GetReal

Apr 29, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds :thumb_up: ..that standing liberty looks amazing for not needing much cleaning :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread