Another 2 Plate day, 2nd one in a week!!!! More Pictures Added

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
New Excalibur II, DFX w 12" Super and stock coil, XLT with stock coil, 14" & 6" coils
I couldn't sleep last night thinking about getting back into the camp that I found last week!!! They were calling for the bad weather to start "early morning". So, in order to get ahead of it, I was "diggin" at 0600 hrs. (yes, before daylight), I used my flashlight for the first couple of holes. Then as it started to get light, the snow started, and boy did it snow, before I knew it there was about 2" on the ground. I really didn't mind it, it made it easier to see where I had hunted as I was working a "grid" pattern in the area where I found one of the Eagle Breast Plates last week. By 0800 hours I had about 10 bullets, some knapsack parts, a button or two, and then..........................a U.S. Box Plate!!!
I kept diggin thru the snow, then it turned to sleet, and then to rain as the temperature warmed up. Once the rain stopped, the wind started!!!
I wanted to stop for lunch but had set a goal of 50 bullets before I could go eat!!!! I kept digging!!! Finally around 2pm, I hit bullet number 50, a Williams cleaner, and headed for the truck.
Just after lunch I decided to go back and grid the other direction from where I found the Eagle last week. Within a short time, I hit another signal that I KNEW was another plate, and it was!!!! Another U.S. Box Plate!!!! TWO in one day!!!!
I ended up with 5 eagle buttons, one New York button, some knapsack parts, some interesting bullets (60 total), 3 scabbord tips (2 with leather still in them), a pocket knife, a whatzit -UPDATE - Its part of a door handle/lock, a small shoe buckle, a spencer carbine cartridge, and of course the 2 box plates!!!!
I can say that I really think my arm fell off today. Swinging the Whites 12" coil from 0600 until 1830 hours today!!!! With about a 25 minute lunch break!!!!

Updated, changed title, and added LOTS more pictures.

Enjoy!!!!

feb 11 2009 finds.JPG
All Finds for February 18th 2009​

Feb 17 2009.JPG
Both of the US boxplates​

Feb 18 2009 2 plates.JPG
A Carved Bullet​

Feb 18 2009 Carved Bullet.JPG
Mystery Solved - It's part of a door handle/lock​

Feb 18 2009 Nipple Tool 2.JPG
An odd bullet, note the "pin" in the center.​

Feb 18 2009 odd bullet.JPG
One of the Star Based Bullets​

Feb 18 2009 Star Base Bullet.JPG
Lunch time!!! I had finally reached my goal of 50 bullets before I could go eat.​
Thats a NICE steak and some macaroni and tomatoes - my Grandmothers got me hooked on this!!!​

Feb 18 2009 Lunch.JPG
Some Scabbord Tips (2 still had the leather in them)​

Scabbord Tips with Leather.JPG
A dirty bag, from playing in the mud!!!​

Feb 18 2009 Dirty Bag.JPG
The 4 plates that came from the same camp!!!​

Feb 2009 4 Plates.JPG
Another shot of the plates, eagle buttons, and New York button​

Feb 18 2009 Plates and Buttons.JPG
ALL finds from day 1 at the camp.​

Attachments

• feb 11 2009 finds.JPG
    feb 11 2009 finds.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 1,158
Upvote 0
OP
OP
dcooper1

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
New Excalibur II, DFX w 12" Super and stock coil, XLT with stock coil, 14" & 6" coils
DCMatt said:
Man, you know how to hunt AND eat!

That bullet with the little stub inside is a Williams cleaner with the plug broken off, isn't it?

DCMatt

Matt,
I had been hoping to spend an entire day there on my next trip and had my "stuff" packed for several days. I usually start getting REALLY hungry and have trouble concentrating in the afternoon, thinking about a whopper with cheese!!! I didn't know if I was going to get to spend too much time out there yesterday because they were calling for some BAD weather. I thought maybe I would get a few hours in before it started. Somehow.......I didn't even notice the snow/sleet/rain/wind and ended up staying for the entire day!!

The two bullets on the bottom row with the little plug sticking our ARE Williams Cleaners. They had a Zinc disk on the plug. There was usually one cleaner bullet with every 20 bullets issued.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
man oh man --- you got the spot with out a doubt. ;D

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like a perfect day for md'ing

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
UN ^%$&@ Believable WOW WOW Holy *&*^%%$ way to go :thumbsup:

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Those are some beautiful relics!!! You know I've set a 50 bullet limit also, but it's not before lunch, it's before DEATH!!!
Congrats on that awesome spot!!!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like how you roll, LOL, the grill is cool! Fantastic finds. Congrats and HH, Mike

K

KirkTN

DC,

OUTSTANDING!!! As tough as it is to research and locate civil war camp sites, and then get permission to hunt, and then it be a Virgin site like this pretty much has to be, and to come away with so many pieces of American history worthy of display, I SALUTE YOU SIR! I think it's only fitting that you endured funky freezing weather, long hours and hard work to recover these relics. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A Banner Day

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My question is why were all the soldiers in this camp running around with no clothes on whilst tossing their unfired lead around the campsite? :wink: The best Civil War sites don't produce 4 plates, dozens or buttons, and hundreds of bullets, this one is truly special.

Nice digs man, you are making a lot of people around here green with envy :icon_biggrin:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know I just got finished having a stroke but I think that would have sent me overboard for good.....What can you say "d"......awesome Buddy :thumbsup:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Holy Mother of Pearl....Whatever that means! Those are great finds, I don 't care what planet you are hunting but in my world those are practically impossible finds. Congrats.... :thumbsup: jgas

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds, :thumbsup:

If I set a goal of fifty bullets before I went home I would need six cases of those steaks and a fifty pound bag of macaroni.

Your the King :icon_king:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions