Another angle

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Old Silver

A lot of people may not know that the state of Virginia had gold mines. One of the owners of gold mines in Virginia was a man by the name of William C. Beale. This William C. Beale had a cousin by the name of Thomas J. Beale, from Fauquier County, VA., born 1792...died 1851. There is a thought that the famous Beale story may be tied into this family. There is evidence to suggest, for what it might be worth, that this Thomas J. Beale from Fauquier County was related to the Thomas Beale from Fincastle. This Thomas J. Beale had a brother named Richard Taverner Beale. Taverner Beale was the name of The father of Thomas Beale from Fincastle. This was no doubt a family name, and not one heard everyday.

Is it possible that a gold mine treasure from Virginia, and not from the west, could be the source of the Beale treasure story? Was the western gold expedition a cover for a Virginia gold mine treasure? But then on the other side of the coin, could the Virginia gold mine be a cover for the western gold treasure? Which came first, the golden goose, or the golden egg?
:laughing9:

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
A lot of people may not know that the state of Virginia had gold mines. One of the owners of gold mines in Virginia was a man by the name of William C. Beale. This William C. Beale had a cousin by the name of Thomas J. Beale, from Fauquier County, VA., born 1792...died 1851. There is a thought that the famous Beale story may be tied into this family. There is evidence to suggest, for what it might be worth, that this Thomas J. Beale from Fauquier County was related to the Thomas Beale from Fincastle. This Thomas J. Beale had a brother named Richard Taverner Beale. Taverner Beale was the name of The father of Thomas Beale from Fincastle. This was no doubt a family name, and not one heard everyday.

Is it possible that a gold mine treasure from Virginia, and not from the west, could be the source of the Beale treasure story? Was the western gold expedition a cover for a Virginia gold mine treasure? But then on the other side of the coin, could the Virginia gold mine be a cover for the western gold treasure? Which came first, the golden goose, or the golden egg?
:laughing9:

I am aware of the gold mines in NC and VA, but that was much later in time, right ?

I have looked into this Beale a bit back, just can not remember why I moved him off my list .

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

I am aware of the gold mines in NC and VA, but that was much later in time, right ?

I have looked into this Beale a bit back, just can not remember why I moved him off my list .

They seem to have been mined in the early 1830, I think. But they were known about in the 1700's, so who knows, maybe there was some mining going on earlier that someone wanted to keep secret. It makes little sense to know about gold mines for years and not try to get at the goods.

The Virginia mines were nowhere near as rich as the western mines, but they were rich enough to mine.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They seem to have been mined in the early 1830, I think. But they were known about in the 1700's, so who knows, maybe there was some mining going on earlier that someone wanted to keep secret. It makes little sense to know about gold mines for years and not try to get at the goods.

The Virginia mines were nowhere near as rich as the western mines, but they were rich enough to mine.

Thomas Beale had a brother living in Botetourt County that had several copper and gold mines. I have been in several of them. Thomas Beale was an attorney and a surveyor for the County of Botetourt. At one time his brother's estate was worth about as much as the annual spending of the US Government. So yes he was quite wealthy. They also had kin that owned gold mines in South Carolina and Georgia.

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

Thomas Beale had a brother living in Botetourt County that had several copper and gold mines. I have been in several of them. Thomas Beale was an attorney and a surveyor for the County of Botetourt. At one time his brother's estate was worth about as much as the annual spending of the US Government. So yes he was quite wealthy. They also had kin that owned gold mines in South Carolina and Georgia.

They were also related to Thomas Beale of Fincastle. I now have proof of that. I don't know if that's significant, but it is interesting.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were also related to Thomas Beale of Fincastle. I now have proof of that. I don't know if that's significant, but it is interesting.

One of the richest gold mines of the Beale Family was on Bear Creek. He had several copper mines on Chair Rock Ridge. There are vent shafts all over that mountain for as you may know the Peaks of Otter is the top of a Volcano and the lodge up there has or had a lake that is the center of it.

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

One of the richest gold mines of the Beale Family was on Bear Creek. He had several copper mines on Chair Rock Ridge. There are vent shafts all over that mountain for as you may know the Peaks of Otter is the top of a Volcano and the lodge up there has or had a lake that is the center of it.

I did not know that. Interesting.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
NO record of Sharp Top, Flat Top, & Harkening Hill (THREE PEAKS of Otter) having once been a volcano; Peter Viemeister wrote a WONDERFUL history of the Peaks of Otter, THE PEAKS OF OTTER: Life & Times... AND! There is not ANYTHING in Vol. I of BEDFORD VILLAGES: Lost & Found - Peaks of Otter & Mons by DAR, pg 156-181. Abbott Lake (a POND really, compared to Smith Mountain Lake), was once a MARSH... the GREAT MARSH with the ORIGINAL Mons Hotel across the BRP road from current Lodge. Johnson Farm was a bit up the OLD road from the old Mons Hotel... ALL of it is VERY interesting... AND! FED LAND!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
NOW! Current Abbott Lake was once the GREAT MARSH; it was drained & cleared by CCC boys; my best buddy in High School's father was one of those CCC Boys; was ALSO a bro in my home-town "Blue Lodge"... GREAT guy! He survived the Battle of the Budge in WW II against the Germans... a PATRIOT! "Archies" reviewed the bottom of the GREAT MARSH, & found some "Indian" artifacts; NO Beale Treasure... NO evidence of an ANCIENT volcano... SORRY!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Oh, AND! DYK...? The VERY first piece of GOLD found in Virginia was by Thomas Jefferson! GOLD in White Quartz! WOW!

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

Oh, AND! DYK...? The VERY first piece of GOLD found in Virginia was by Thomas Jefferson! GOLD in White Quartz! WOW!

I did know something about that, which is why I stated that Virginia gold was known about in the 1700s. I wonder why it wasn't mined until the early 1830's. Or was it?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"Google" GOLD Veins in Virginia; there once was a GOLD Mine in Buckingham County, Va. The Max Security Prison that I worked at had a GOLD MINE ROAD on STATE Land! DANG!

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

"Google" GOLD Veins in Virginia; there once was a GOLD Mine in Buckingham County, Va. The Max Security Prison that I worked at had a GOLD MINE ROAD on STATE Land! DANG!

I have access to a ton of old new articles on Virginia mines.

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

The times dispatch (Richmond, VA)., June 13, 1909
1783.png

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The White Hall mine at a depth of about sixty feet took out 1/4 million dollars in gold in one cubic yard. Only need three of these to make a Beale Treasure total. I have every mine and vein in Virginia mapped with outcroppings of gold, silver and copper. Could easily follow any of those veins for a hundred miles or more and open up new mines today. But need financing and tons of help.

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

The White Hall mine at a depth of about sixty feet took out 1/4 million dollars in gold in one cubic yard. Only need three of these to make a Beale Treasure total. I have every mine and vein in Virginia mapped with outcroppings of gold, silver and copper. Could easily follow any of those veins for a hundred miles or more and open up new mines today. But need financing and tons of help.

Still plenty there, I have no doubt.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, Virginia was THE PLACE to go for GOLD (mines, panning, etc) up to 1848; then, E.F. BEALE came back EAST, from the WEST with a FIST-SIZED GOLD ORE to Philly, PA. YIKES! Started a GOLD RUSH to "Cali", etc. The "49'ers"... GREAT football team; heh... E.F. Beale went on to GREATER things in "Cali"... follow the BEALE WAGON ROAD! Now, known as Rt. 66 ! OPEN ROAD, here we COME!

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still plenty there, I have no doubt.

Surely and that 1/4 million today would be worth $15 Million for one cubic yard only three ft by three ft by three ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread