GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ALBANY, GA -- Eddie Ballard was arrested Wednesday on warrants filed by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources for attempting to dig up arrowheads and other Native American artifacts.
Investigators believe Ballard was using these artifact for commercial gain.
Ballard is currently in custody at the Dougherty County Jail.

(Source: mysouthwestga.com)

[FONT=&quot]http://www.albanyherald.com/news/2013/jun/06/digging-for-artifacts-lands-man-in-jail/[/FONT]

I don't think I would be hunting artifacts in the Flint River.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was trespassing on private and state land. And, he was digging, not picking up surface finds.
Not to change the subject but, has Mr. Pete plowed the two hay fields yet?

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question - Does Georgia allow digging on private lands? I have a good friend in the Baxley / Alma area (spelling might be wrong) with excess to a lot of land near the river and was planning on a trip fairly soon. Just planning on surface hunting some logged areas but just like to know. What about surface hunting the waterways? Last thing I need is being locked up hunting rocks. Thanks

OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can legally surfact hunt if you have permission from the landowner. Georgia law says that you have to have written permission but if you are checked by the DNR, most will accept your word if you have the owners phone number where they can verify. If you plan to dig legally you must contact the state and obtain a permit. I've heard mixed stories on that issue. Try calling them and see how that goes. -> Voice mail -> no return call. -> e-mail -> no returns. Good luck.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe I read where you can dig this yr on private land. But the water I am not to sure on. I read if it is deep enough to use a boat it is states but if you cant use a boat then its fair game. Either way laws change often I would check out the DNR's web site to be sure. There should be a # that you can call if still in doubt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread