Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, I ventured into the woods to try to coax a few silvers out of the ground. Within an hour of starting the hunt, I got a really nice signal that was under the edge of some bushes. The drop in temperatures, especially at night, is pushing back or stopping the growth of the thick vegetation. (During the summer, you need a machete to get to these spots). Whatever you do, don't get caught with a machete in a public park, lol.
Back to that signal. I dug down about 5 inches and out comes a clump of dirt encrusted metal. I wiped some of the saturated soil off of it to reveal the face of a Barber Half Dollar. WOW. This is only the second Barber half that I have recovered and both were found this year.
It seems that we are getting a run on Barber Halves on TNet.
Although I was to also recover a Mercury Dime, The Barber Half was the "Find of the Day" That is until I found My very first CACHE.
I posted that separately, because I felt that your First Cache Recovery deserves it own spot.
My finds for the day were: one $1 dollar coin, 19q, 17d, 4n, 45 memorials, 8 wheat pennies, (41, 44, 46, 47, 52d, 56, 56d, & 58) a 45 Mercury Dime, and a 1907o Barber Half Dollar.
My 2015 Silver Coin Count is now at 153 Coins
IMG_2267.JPG IMG_2266.JPG IMG_2265.JPG IMG_2262.JPG IMG_2261.JPG IMG_2259.JPG IMG_2268.JPG IMG_2270.JPG IMG_2273.JPG

Upvote 30

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds! Just imagine what the city looked like back when that Barber half was in circulation, probably alot more steam boats on the East River. :treasurechest::thumbsup:
I see you're a fellow NYC dweller too, props on hunting the parks, those wild hobos can be scary :laughing7:

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and a good day hunting. Glad you could leave the machete at home!

aj

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any particular reason you were drawn to this spot in the area?
Great Digs and I must also agree the knife is a beauty.
There are lots of areas in this park that are difficult to get to during the summer. When hunting in places that are normally overgrown with vegetation like shrubs, vines, and young trees, I look for grassy patches and rocky crags. It almost always includes a hilly terrain. I know that these shrubs, vines and young d trees were not there 100 years ago, or not even 50 years ago. An open area on top of a hill with just enough older trees to provide shade, is a perfect spot to hang out.

Last edited:

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! Love that Barber and that Merc is in beautiful condition..........gotta go check out your cache thread!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work bud, I found a few halfs but never a Barber Half. Sweet hunt, your in a great area.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, just a beautiful coin, I love the reverse side of a barber half, absolutely awesome design, great find!

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's great! Nice day, for sure. Finding a half in the hole is pretty spectacular, but a Barber half is even better. I like the hubcap too.. WTG! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread