Another bountiful harvest

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Another bountiful harvest thanks to White’s Metal Detectors.

Call it what you will, “treasure hunting”, “Coin Shooting”, “Dirt Fishing”, “Killing Time” or “Metal Detecting” and perhaps, now, “Harvesting”. Of all the hobbies I’ve ever had in my life none have been so addictive or profitable as this one. While I still consider myself somewhat of a novice as far as metal detecting goes, even after over three years of experience now under my .. uh.. coil, I’d like to think that getting better at it. Getting better and being lucky a lot too I suppose. Lucky, for having decided on purchasing a White’s metal detector in the first place. And lucky in having the expertise, service and dedication of White’s and my distributor standing behind my equipment. Over the years I’ve run into a few problems with my detectors, but White’s and my distributor made things right. They have earned my business and that of anyone that asks me about metal detectors forever more. An example would be just this week in fact, I began having trouble with my Bullseye II pin pointer. The power button began functioning erratically, sometimes turning the machine on, sometimes not. I finally reasoned with myself that it would be best to get another unit to replace it as detecting without my pin pointer is all but unthinkable anymore. I’ve been known to turn around and go home rather than detect if I found that I’d forgotten to bring my bullseye. Well expecting to shell out some cash for a new Bullseye, I went to my distributor’s office to pick one up. Instead of selling me a new unit, he exchanged my old unit for a brand new one. WOW! I did end up purchasing another digging pouch, but I had planned on doing that anyway. I was delighted and impressed, yet again. Later this week, today actually, I found that my plans to go try out this new Bullseye were put on hold due to rain. Cleaning my equipment and taking stock I decided that it was time to replace my trusty but tired headphones. I drove to my distributor’s office again and purchased a pair of the Royal GT headphones. As the weather was better in the area of my distributor’s office than at home I thought I’d make a short hunt at a park near there. You know, to try out my new headphones, and finally break in the new pin pointer as well.
This was the first time I’d ever been to this park and I was pleasantly surprised to find a sand lot volley ball court at one end of the park. Seeing as I’m anticipating a vacation trip to the beach in a few weeks I thought I’d try my hand, and detector, in the sand. I hadn’t gone more than three or four feet into the sand when I picked up my first target signal. My Prizm IV was indicating something in the quarter range but when I dug down into the sand I found a toy farm implement, a harvester combine. Little did I know at the time but that find would set the tone so to speak of my treasure hunting outing at that particular park. I was about to “harvest” a bounty of booty using my trusty detector with new headphones and pinpointer. The harvester was followed by a few coins, and a few more toys as well. I ended up finding seven different toy cars, military vehicles and a motorcycle spread out in the sand of the volley ball court.

Toys.JPG

After finishing up in the volley ball court I moved on to the nearest of three wood chipped tot lots in this park. Apparently few if anyone detects in this park because I found coins with nearly every sweep of my detector coil. Of course coins weren’t the only things I found. I found a handful of buttons, snaps and trinkets in and around the woodchips and tot lots, even some silver!

Buttons & Charms.JPG

Yes, I said silver. At least one of the three pendants I found is identifiably silver with its stamp of 925 on its reverse side.

Silver trio Comp.jpg

It’s always nice to find precious metals, be they coins or jewelry. I didn’t find any silver coins this outing but the pendant was a nice plum all the same. Of course as with any hunt in any park anywhere, there were a plethora of pull tabs to be found. I put quite a few of them in my new digging pouch, along with all the coke rewards bottle caps I spotted during the hunt as well. My wife collects those, so to me they are “brownie points”

Tabs and Tops.JPG

Well my hunt in this park away from home was curtailed from further searching as the weather grew decidedly damper with the clouds opening up and the rain began falling. I was about halfway around the baseball field complex searching the grassy areas around the bleachers and the concession stand at the hub of the complex when I decided to head for home. I had lost count of my found coins early on so I was pleased to find out what the final tally was when I got home and emptied out my digging pouch. A bountiful harvest indeed.

Clad.JPG

You got to love a hobby that pays you to have fun! And it’s all the more enjoyable using reliable equipment and enjoying the support and enthusiasm of the manufacturers and suppliers of that equipment. Yeah. I had a good day!

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Upvote 0

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lotsa loot ;D good silver finds!! MR TUFF

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you did alright on your hunt. I love finding the hot wheels. It must be time for a road trip to KY......Matt

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
mlayers said:
Wow you did alright on your hunt. I love finding the hot wheels. It must be time for a road trip to KY......Matt

It's not unusual to find one or two toy cars or trucks or whatever if you hunt the woodchips and pea gravel of the playgrounds and tot lots. It *IS* unusual to find so many on one trip though, to be sure! I guess there's not a whole lot of volley ball being played in that sand lot. Oh well, into the collection they went. I have a couple of gallon bags now full of toy vehicles that I've collected. Once a year or so I donate them to GoodWill when my wife and I donate household goods, clothing and such. Hey! It's a tax write off after all, even if the toys are only worth a few bucks maybe, over time it adds up.
And yeah.. the kid in me still marvels at the COOL STUFF too. <grin>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good hunt again, Frodov. I always enjoy reading your hunts. A little different then the normal hunts and finds on this web....but a nice change. In part to you, I have begun hunting tot lots, etc here in S. Korea. I find some of the same type of stuff that you do. I'm looking for my first nice ring.....(has to be gold. I've already found several silver.)
Like to have you over here and do a site or two with me. I hunt in the hills/mts of Korea mostly, and we start with coins
dating betweein 250 and 350 years old. Throw in a couple almost 1,000 years old (Chinese), and it gets interesting. And, then there's the other old stuff that we find. If you ever decide to take a vacation out of the U.S., and need a place to hunt, let me know when, and we will make it happen.
hikeinmts.......aka Bill

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
hikeinmts said:
Good hunt again, Frodov. I always enjoy reading your hunts. A little different then the normal hunts and finds on this web....but a nice change. In part to you, I have begun hunting tot lots, etc here in S. Korea. I find some of the same type of stuff that you do. I'm looking for my first nice ring.....(has to be gold. I've already found several silver.)
Like to have you over here and do a site or two with me. I hunt in the hills/mts of Korea mostly, and we start with coins
dating betweein 250 and 350 years old. Throw in a couple almost 1,000 years old (Chinese), and it gets interesting. And, then there's the other old stuff that we find. If you ever decide to take a vacation out of the U.S., and need a place to hunt, let me know when, and we will make it happen.
hikeinmts.......aka Bill

Wow! the thought of digging up a 1000 year old coin, or even a 300 or 150 year old coin is pretty intriguing to say the least. As would traveling half way around the world to detect with a friend from TNet. However, I don't see myself hopping on a plane or boat in the near future.. unless I hit the lottery or become otherwise independently wealthy. <smile> Thanks for the offer all the same though. I would be honored to hunt with you anytime. Thanks.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frodov goodhunt,you can replace me as the new change king, Kane 23

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
kane23 said:
Frodov goodhunt,you can replace me as the new change king, Kane 23

I don't know man, I don't know if I'm ready for that exalted status.. I mean.. "Change King" ? Perhaps the Penny Prince or Clad Count maybe.. <grin> It's just good luck, good equipment, and good timing.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
wyattrr said:
;D... :'( Streak broken...Silver is a way to take the sting out. How much change would you say you dug up?

Just this last trip? This year? Or since I've been metal detecting? I'd have to do some math I think for the last two. This last trip was $10.10. So far this year, over $105.00. Since I began metal detecting... hmm.. $1200. or $1300. dollars or so? I'd have to go back and add it all up. Not getting rich by any means, but deffinately a lucrative hobby to say the least! Lots of silver trinkets along the way, even a little bit of gold now and then, none of that has been apraised or sold as yet though. So there's no monetary amount on any of that. Gotta love this hobby!

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
plehbah said:
Spooky said:
Frodov said:
or Clad Count maybe.. <grin> It's just good luck, good equipment, and good timing.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Clad COUNT!!!

yes..

THAT is your new moniker, Sir.

:headbang:

That is a great stage name. I second the motion.

You guys are NUTS! <grin>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul :icon_thumright: all that loot adds up Good hunt Ddd60

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
A very nice hunt Frodov! Love the "Shiny People".......I've got a collection of charms in a cool case I bought off Ebay. They are just fun to look at!

Keep up the good work! :icon_thumright:

HH,
Moon

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Moonshadow said:
A very nice hunt Frodov! Love the "Shiny People".......I've got a collection of charms in a cool case I bought off Ebay. They are just fun to look at!

Keep up the good work! :icon_thumright:

HH,
Moon

I've thought about building a couple or three shadow boxes to display some of my more interesting finds from metal detecting. I've not done it yet, but I've thought about it. Be a good excuse to use my practically brand new and unused table saw I got for Christmas two years ago now wouldn't it? <grin> A little wood, a little lexan or glass and I'd have some interesting displays to mount on a wall in the den or more likely in the mancave..er.. I mean basement. A wife's tollerance only goes so far after all.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread