Another Bucket List Find and 2 Half Dollar Day

jrmazzeo

Mar 16, 2012
Central Mass
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've heard it many times before, but today I truly experienced "no place is ever hunted out".

Site is a former town common that appears on mid-1800s maps. It is now baseball and soccer fields. I have hunted it many times before and just last week pulled out a third seated dime from the site. All on the soccer field portion of the park.

Today I decided to hunt very, very slowly the area where the three seated dimes have been found. First find was a shallow 1943 Canadian dime. About an hour into the hunt got a textbook 38-39 signal on the Safari that sounded of silver but seemed shallow. About 7 inches down saw the flash of big silver. Pulled it out and was stunned to be looking at an 1858-O seated half, my first seated half ever. Earlier this year I found my first seated quarter. It is in nice shape but someone scratched an M and perhaps an I on the upper right. Absolutely thrilled to have found it!

About an hour later got another shallow signal that sounded of silver and pulled out the 1945 walker, it was only 2 inches down but was on edge.

These finds are all from an area I have hunted at least twice before. Going slow helps, plus the fact that we have had recent rain. But missing two half dollars?

Needless to say I am dedicating a whole day to pounding the hell of the place next weekend. Which means I will probably won't find anything.

Happy Hunting

Attachments

• seated half front.JPG
    seated half front.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 201
  • seated half back.JPG
    seated half back.JPG
    464.2 KB · Views: 195
  • 10-10-2015 119.jpg
    10-10-2015 119.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 212
Upvote 27

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If something big as a half dollar has gotten missed before , there has got to be more there! I really like the halves, I've yet to find any kind of half dollar!

ArmyJoe

Apr 30, 2014
S. Korea
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds man! I also use a safari and due to the slow processor I've played with the settings and have had the best luck by setting my machine up as follows:

I hunt in all metal with ferrous tones cross saved. I then went thru and deleted all of my settings under the other tabs, coins, coin/jewelry, and relic. If the machine doesn't have to discriminate or remember anything else the settings you have should be optimal! Good luck with your seated site!

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the seated half dollar. That's on most everyone's bucket list. I've only found one in 35 years. How did you clean your's? Sandblaster? You should go easy on the baking soda. Coin collectors really prefer a more natural appearance. Don't mean to be critical, but I'm one of them.

OP
OP
J

jrmazzeo

Mar 16, 2012
Central Mass
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds man! I also use a safari and due to the slow processor I've played with the settings and have had the best luck by setting my machine up as follows:

I hunt in all metal with ferrous tones cross saved. I then went thru and deleted all of my settings under the other tabs, coins, coin/jewelry, and relic. If the machine doesn't have to discriminate or remember anything else the settings you have should be optimal! Good luck with your seated site!

Thanks for the tip on the Safari, I have never tried cross saved ferrous tones but will based on your suggestion.

ArmyJoe

Apr 30, 2014
S. Korea
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip on the Safari, I have never tried cross saved ferrous tones but will based on your suggestion.

The fe tones are just my personal preference, I use the all metal setting because it's wide open and nothing for the processor to get bogged down by, the other settings are left at factory since I can't delete those. The important thing is to delete any saved settings you have anywhere on the machine. I've actually noticed a slight increase in feedback from my machine. Every little bit helps! Let me know how the hunting goes,

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread