Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I returned to "Bucket List Park" yesterday. Armed with the DEUS, I started to swing the coil at 12 P.M. I just received a Brand New Garrett Carrot the day before, so that I can send my old one back for service. Using the new Carrot I noticed an awful lot of EMI on my DEUS. I didn't connect the two at first.
Picking away at some clad and a few deep wheat pennies, I finally dug out a really small target. I had a feeling of what it was, since I have recovered a Capped Bust Half Dime in this park earlier this year. I broke out my magnifying glass and sure enough,, I was looking at an 1858 O Seated Half Dime. My first Seated Half Dime.
About an hour later my Garrett Carrot started to konk out. I changed the battery and it worked fine on the next target. Then nothing. There is definitely something wrong with this instrument. Looks like I'll be sending 2 Garrett Carrots back for repairs.
I stopped the hunt about an hour after finding the Seated Half Dime. I got tired of scooping dirt and passing it over the coil like in the old days. I guess I'm spoiled. I was perfectly okay with whatever the rest of the day would bring me.

IMG_6977.JPG IMG_6978.JPG

IMG_6979.JPG IMG_6980.JPG

Upvote 33

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet half dime man :icon_thumleft:. I remember those "old days" of scooping dirt over the coil. Haha When I got back into the hobby about 5 years ago I was thinking "WTH do I need a 'pinpointer' for!?". Yup... Spoiled now! When I started, scooping dirt was part of the game... now when my pinpointer craps out I feel lost. Haha.

Next time you turn your carrot on, toggle the Deus to different frequencies or change the offset of the frequency you're on and the interference should get better. My Whites TRX interferes at 12khz, but is fine at 18khz. I have the XP MI-6 now and the integration with the audio is fantastic.

Hope you get back there soon... seems like this park has more in store for you :occasion14:

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible half dime! I've also noticed that sometimes my Garrett Carrot drives my Deus wonky. It doesn't happen all the time, and I rarely change my deus settings, so it's a bit of a mystery. Way to go on the seated!

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time you turn your carrot on, toggle the Deus to different frequencies or change the offset of the frequency you're on and the interference should get better. My Whites TRX interferes at 12khz, but is fine at 18khz. I have the XP MI-6 now and the integration with the audio is fantastic.

Hope you get back there soon... seems like this park has more in store for you :occasion14:
Thanks Outdoor, , I haven't previously had high EMI with the Garrett Carrot. I suspect that this new Garret Carrot is defective because it generates a disturbing static the moment it is turned on. It gets worse when coming within detecting range of metal.
I'm using a custom program that usually runs in 12 hz. On a recent seeded hunt, I dropped my sensitivity to 85 and pushed the frequency up to 18 hz. The DEUS got so quiet, I had to check to see if it was still on. lol

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Half Dime ATW. You sure are emptying that bucket fast this year.

silver john

Apr 17, 2016
Troy, New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO with NEL Storm coil Garrett ATmax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CONGRATS ON THE HALF DIME!! IM STILL SEARCHING FOR MY FIRST!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread