Another button. Some ID help needed

NJ Garrett

Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all! I've been hunting at a house in NJ that my parents own. It's a historic site in the state, and they are selling it in March... :(

This weekend, I found another button. This one is the largest that I've found yet, and it's pretty intricate. Has anyone seen one like this before? Any ideas on the era? The last one I found was a tombac button from the late 1700's. This one was found in a completely different area, though.

Note: The quarter is shown purely for size reference. :P

Thanks in advance!

P1010446.JPGP1010447.JPG

Upvote 2
Yeah it's also a fairly early one, and very nice too with the openwork at the edge, and an engraved flower that looks to be silvered. A lot of effort probably went into that one.

That's a very pretty old button .. Nice find!

It looks late 17th century to me.:icon_thumright:

Beautiful old button, nice find.

That's some fancy coat button you found. Probably belonged to someone who had money at the time and may have been on their Sunday best. Nice find.

A very nice late 16th or early 17th cent. button, A great button...................................HH

Very nice buttons there, If this historic property is to be sold in March, I hope you plan to hunt it hard whilst you still have the chance- all the harder now that winter is approaching!

A very nice late 16th or early 17th cent. button, A great button...................................HH

Are you saying that this button is from the late 1500s? It most certainly is not. It is a late 1700s button. In other words, late 18th century.

-Buck

Are you saying that this button is from the late 1500s? It most certainly is not. It is a late 1700s button. In other words, late 18th century.

-Buck

Concur as well 100%. Those large "half dollar" size ornate one-piece flat buttons were the fashionable rage from about 1790-1800. I have had the opportunity to personally dig many period specific sites (I.E; 17th Century Pirate, Early 18th Century settler, 1780's Rev War, War of 1812, Seminole War, Etc..). From experience, those huge and very decorative buttons date entirely after the American Rev War, for about a decade, and barely into the 19th Century, when they were generally tossed out as new fashion came into vogue.

CC Hunter

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back