Tesoro Cibola and Troy Shadow X-5

Attachments

• Restored 1832 Porter Slave Tag 02-06 002 (3).jpg
    Restored 1832 Porter Slave Tag 02-06 002 (3).jpg
    106 KB · Views: 1,819
Upvote 0

FMarion2ndRegSC

Sep 14, 2006
Wow, you're hurting me! Very nice. Looks like that one was bent. I wonder what the percentage of tags found are bent? Most of mine were folded over, too. How many have you found?

OP
OP
B.H.

B.H.

Mar 8, 2006
Ace Basin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola and Troy Shadow X-5
FMarion2ndRegSC said:
Wow, you're hurting me! Very nice. Looks like that one was bent. I wonder what the percentage of tags found are bent? Most of mine were folded over, too. How many have you found?

You are correct..It was folded when found..It was repaired by Robert McDaniel in Alabama..he did a great job :) :)
I would prefer to keep the exact number of tags we have found confidential :)..It is over 2 dozen and counting ;D

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Great relic find.
Have you ever tried to find the descendants of any of the names on those badges???

Might be interesting to try one to see.

waldopeppa

Jan 16, 2005
nice tag, one of the mechanics in my collection is same in Patina, dark rich green and could be mistaken for paint.

Congrats on your tags. It would behoove you to take your collection to the Charleston Museum and Avery Research center for Black Culture and have them looked at, documented as authentic , photographed and the whole 9 because I just saw a bunch of tags on this forum and %90 were fake.

The forgers are getting better so document it now before the forgers ruin the market on them. At least this way your collection will retain its value.

Hey, who knows, maybe they can loan them from you and pop your names up in lights for you in a display while on loan.

Walter

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW beautiful piece,Love to find one of those but I think the slaves chucked them before running to Canada.Great find HH

Doc2be

Feb 23, 2007
Orangeburg/Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Very nice, I can't seem to find any places here around Charleston to go MD most of the places I would like to go is Federal property and what not.

waldopeppa

Jan 16, 2005
go to the construction sites while they are working and ask for permission.

Also, you should go out on land near known plantations and I do ot mean private property but lands adjacent to them to find stuff.

The beach at the battery is also a good place.

Im not planning a trip to charleston anytime in the future so well Ill give up the secrets, good luck to ya.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread