Another Class Ring, a War Nickel & a Wheatie...........

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I ventured out today around 2 PM which left me maybe 3 hours of hunting time.

I drove to a park I've hunted a few times in the past without much luck. Today was no different. After an hour or so of picking through iron to dig mostly trash I decided to go to my standby, hidden old ball field in the hopes of at least finding something in the time I had left. This spot just always seems to give up just a little more no matter how hard I pound it.

It's about a 15 minute hike to get there so I walked really fast and made it in about 10 to conserve daylight. When I arrived I started swinging immediately and within maybe 10- 15 minutes I had dug a 1943 War Nick' and a 1950 Wheatie which unfortunately, I scratched a little.

Another Class Ring, War Nick & Wheatie Dec. 6 2015 003.JPG

The Wheatie was maybe 5 inches down. The War Nick' was a good 7-8" down. The soil in my area is really hard on nickels and this one certainly shows it. It's also my first 1943.

So I dug some clad, the oldest being a 1957 nickel as well as the usual trash.

Then I got a really bouncy hit and almost passed over it. When I tightened up my swing it settled down and stayed between 49 and 51 so I dug down maybe 4 inches and out popped this........

Another Class Ring, War Nick & Wheatie Dec. 6 2015 001.JPG Another Class Ring, War Nick & Wheatie Dec. 6 2015 002.JPG

I REALLY thought this was white gold based on where it rang up. My heart was pounding. But unfortunately, upon closer inspection I realized that it's valadium. I think that's a fancy name for "high end" stainless steel. It certainly looks like white gold but I guess that's the point.

It's made by Keystone. I looked it up and found that it's sold by WalMart. This type sells new for around 168.00 (dunno' why given it's basically junk) but the resale value is maybe around 30 bucks. I guess that's really not too bad for a junker.

It has the name "Brandon" on the outside and the initials "BJC" on the inside. Unfortunately there's no school name on it anywhere. It's dated 2011. I have no clue how I could return this one. It may have some sentimental meaning to the person who lost it. I'm assuming it could have been a hiker.

Oh well; it's still ring # 53 and my 3rd class ring thus far. It's also the first crest style I've dug so that counts for something I guess.

So then it got dark so I wrapped it up and hiked out of there. Overall it was a fun hunt. Any time I find a ring and/or a War Nick" I'm happy. Wheaties are always good too.

I was definitely in "the zone" today and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I also got just a bit more silver so I'm cool with that. I didn't even expect to be hunting in December but it was really warm today. I really appreciate being able to get out there since I haven't had many opportunities lately.

Another Class Ring, War Nick & Wheatie Dec. 6 2015 004.JPG

So anyway, that's about it.
Thanks for looking and HH........

Last edited:
Upvote 5

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digging that ring was a heart stopper and then finding out it's not gold was a heartbreaker. What a ride. Congrats on pulling those keepers, and the ring is a coll find.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digging that ring was a heart stopper and then finding out it's not gold was a heartbreaker. What a ride. Congrats on pulling those keepers, and the ring is a coll find.

Yup.
It's a good thing I have a strong and healthy heart. It just may have crapped out on me that time if I didn't.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it was a graduation present from his parents?

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe it was a graduation present from his parents?

I was thinking the same thing. I feel kinda' bad because maybe that's all someone could afford for the kid. If there was some way to track it down I would definitely return it.
OTOH, it wouldn't cost too much to replace it so I guess that's a good thing if he really wanted to get another one.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY 424 NEEET RING FOR SURE . BE COOL IF YOU COULD FIND THE OWNER .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread