Found my first civil war era 3-ringer bullet today! And in Illinois at that!

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-17 at 8.35.41 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-17 at 9.23.34 PM.jpeg
Hi All,

I am based in the U.S. now after many years abroad, so I've been detecting where I am currently located (suburban Chicago). I've found many Spanish colonial cobs, some gold, and relics in countries like Colombia and Panama in recent years, but I might be more excited about finding my first civil war era 3-ringer lead bullet! What a piece of U.S. history!

I've been researching like crazy as there is little metal-based history in my area compared to the East or South portions of the U.S. I was looking for a "lost town" that was made up of a few log cabins by the early pioneers of my area- This settlement was populated from about 1830 to the early 1850s before being abandoned. After a few days of searching (and determining that the maps and history books were wrong about the location), I'm pretty sure most of the site of the lost town is under modern housing, unfortunately. However, I did observe that there are still sections of woods next to the site that are mostly undisturbed. So I started detecting those adjacent woods today and that's where I found the 3 ringer. I was shocked to find one in northern Illinois where civil war battles were not fought. I wonder how it got there? Anyone have any idea of the caliber and/or kind?

I look forward to returning to the site to hopefully undercover more history!

Last edited:
Upvote 13
OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, everyone, for the feedback! I'm sure to the guys down South, this is a pretty ordinary find, but for us in the Chicago area, rare enough and exciting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread