Mitch1FL

Oct 6, 2004
Sebastian, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI1500/AT-Pro/Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hurricane bill had gone by a week earlier and had not produced any major erosion to my local beaches. Now Tropical Storm Danny was passing by. Low tide was at 10am or 10:30 pm. I could not make the morning low tide because of work, so I opted for the evening tide. Its cooler and there are less people on the beach to bother you. I called a fellow club member to join me. There was not much of a low tide that evening. The waves were coming up high and long. Not cutting the beaches, but pulling down the high sand and smoothing them out into one long slope. The closer you got to the water the mushier it got. After about 30 min and any only a few coins to for the hard work of battling the waves, I got a good hit. I stated working on recovering the target. I was really tuff battling the waves. They were crashing into my midsection. With it being 11pm at night, I did not want to get swept out. After 6 scoops into the soft sand I was about to give up. I was now soaking wet. I gave it one last scoop and a wave almost put me on my rear end. I rechecked the target area, no signal. But did I have it in my scoop? Did it sink further down in the soft sand? Or did I just plain loose it in the waves? I drug myself out of the waves and up to a high area on the beach. Dumped out my scoop and checked the pile with my detector. YES, target acquired!! I ran my hand thru the pile searcher for my prize. My fingers hit something large, something large and heavy. Probably a lead sinker I thought. I picked it up. In the half moon light I could see I had a class ring. I placed it in my pouch and continued to hunt. Later that night I got the ring home and cleaned it up a little. Here is what I had……

DSCN4450xx.jpg

DSCN4454xx.jpg

It was a University or Florida Class Ring from the Class of 1983 with the fraternity logo on the top and a name on the inside. It weighed in at 20 grams. A very nice looking ring with Gators on the sides and a diamond in the fraternity logo.
With in an hour I was able to locate a site of the Beta Theta Pi Chapter at UF and they had an Alumni section. I scrolled down the list of names and there he was. There was an email address listed, but was it current? So I sent off an email. I put the fraternity name in the title so it would get his attention and hopefully not go into his spam or trash folder. I asked in the email…. Have you been to Vero Beach lately? If so, did you ever loose something or leave something behind? If so, please reply to this email. The next day I got a reply.

Yes he replied. “I visit Vero each year. I have lost a few things, sunglasses, class ring.”

I replied with my phone number and told him he should contact me, I might have something of his. He called and described the ring exactly so I knew it was his. He lived over near Tampa. I told him I would mail it to him. He said he would rather drive over and get it. Two days later we met. Here he his getting back the class ring he lost over 2 years ago.

DSCN4464xx.jpg

Only a few more days and its 2 weeks of detecting in England. :hello:

DSCN3247bb.jpg

http://www.MitchKing.us

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
That's what I'm talking about. Very Nice Job. Congrats on the find and the return. Looks like a happy guy! WTG...Once again making us all look good! :thumbsup: jgas

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the post, but no pictures. Probably something wrong on my end.
Great story, and good job locating the owner of the ring.......the right thing to do. :hello2:

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
nice return!! what a cool ring too with the gator. I'm hoping my son will wear that same ring someday! lol

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really nice story... :icon_thumright:

hikeinmts, has to be on your end I have pictures....

MICHIGANJAY

Dec 28, 2006
MI
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT, Equinox, Excal. 10, Ultra 1000
Primary Interest:
Other
Bro. That is NIce. I have returned a ring or two. Its haard to---do but it definately feels great when done. I can tell that guy was seriously glad to get his ring back. Keep it up. J.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Karma is gonna love you bro.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kudos to you :hello2: That was one beautiful ring and I know the owner is very pleased to have it back. I checked over your website...wow, it's really nice.

:wink: RR

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: wtg , good karma there an good luck on your upcoming England hunt

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
cool ring! good luck in England---that's two things I'd like to do find and return a class ring and MD overseas! Are you hooking up with any of the guys from treasure net?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread