Another Coin..Republica Mexicana 50 Centavos Alamos mint?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mentioned in another thread that I'm going through some of the stuff I set aside. Then after a while it just gets buried in the rubble. Now, going through, Identifying or trying to find more details on some of it.

This coin is a little rough and has some rim issues! lol

What I think I know....

Republic of Mexico 1881 50 centavos...I'm assuming the (As) is the Alamos mint And the L. is assayer.

I can find very little info on this coin from this mint. I've searched books and the net. Can anyone tell me how many were minted in this year? Or do I have the info wrong and misunderstanding the mint mark? I find coins from the year and all other mints and combinations of marks. I've found a few from different years on Ebay. I'm more curious about the Alamos mint and how many were minted for this year coin.

From what I did find, this mint was minting smaller silver coins and even copper coins at the time this coin was minted? And was under private ownership. I can find some info on the smaller coins.

Thanks for any info!

mexico 006.JPG
mexico 005.JPG

Again my lighting is bad! It does show every little flaw though!:laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like lead.

It's poor pictures. I took them under a fluorescent desk light. I'm almost sure it's silver. Some of these were in really old 2x2 that were turning yellow.

It might be a fake! So, far I don't think so. I'll weigh it tomorrow if I can find the plug to the scale! lol The edges are dinged all around. And the fields are tarnished, and looks half way cleaned. :dontknow:

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You are correct in attributing the coin to Alamos.
The coin consists of .9027 fine silver, originally weighed 13.536 grams and had a mintage of 18,000.
The series was minted between 1875 and 1885 except years '82 and '83. Then one other year: 1888; the most valuable ($4,000 in F condition)
Don....

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct in attributing the coin to Alamos.
The coin consists of .9027 fine silver, originally weighed 13.536 grams and had a mintage of 18,000.
The series was minted between 1875 and 1885 except years '82 and '83. Then one other year: 1888; the most valuable ($4,000 in F condition)
Don....

Thank you!! I spent hours looking and could not find the mintage. Then that sparked my interest in the Alamos mint.

Thanks again!!!

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weighs 13.1 to 13.2 grams, I'm using a cheap scale so it's bouncing. Still haven't found the plug to the good scale. The monster that steals pens, pencils, and one sock to a pair, must have run off with it!:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread