Another Coinstar Save

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
If you see the loss prevention people or a security guard close by, you know where they went.:laughing7: My trick was to use gum on a pencil to grab jewelry out of the tray (with the holes) almost always found earrings & charms.

Has anyone noticed the coinstars kick out wheats? One of the service guys told me one of the tests were weight. Wheats weigh more so the machine thinks they're slugs. Anyone else see this?

Many years ago, probably in the late 90s, I found easily over 200 wheats in a coin star reject bin. I was just a kid at the supermarket with my mom, but that's what originally got me into collecting coins. There were a ton of old dates and steels. I can't remember if there was any silver, but I'm sure if there was I wouldn't have recognized it anyway. I only knew the wheats were special because of the reverse.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to check my 2 local Wal-Marts regularly and have found a little silver, until they moved the machines next to the customer service counter. I feel a little strange now checking the reject trays
There's a coinstar at my local Walmart but it charges the 10% extortion rate unless you get some ridiculous gift card to some restaurant. I have wanted to creep around it looking for discards but I feel mighty conspicuous doing it. Might have to just take a peanut butter jar full of change with me and pretend I'm interested in dining at Chili's with a budget of $7.84 while I raid it for lost silver.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to check my 2 local Wal-Marts regularly and have found a little silver, until they moved the machines next to the customer service counter. I feel a little strange now checking the reject trays

If you want to find silver you have to not care what anyone thinks. My walmart coinstar is right by the customer service counter as well. I have never had a problem and that is the coinstar I have found silver coins in multiple times now. I have a routine when I walk up to them now. When walking up I always look under the machine while I'm far back from the machine (found a mercury dime under the machine once). Then I once at the machine I check the reject tray then I will push the screen and pretend I'm looking at the deals or what gift cards are offered. While I'm doing that I'm looking in the basket and all around the machine for any coins. People put coin in weird places on those machines. The whole system only takes about 20 seconds then I'm out of there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread