SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Another colonial money pit withdrawal made yesterday + 2 coin weights

My good pal Dan and I decided to take advantage of yesterday's great weather by embarking on a 10+ hour marathon hunt. Our first task was to return to the infamous money pit where 5 colonial copper and silver coins had been recovered on a previous visit along with a pile of buttons and early pottery. We had not yet sifted the dirt from this enormous pit, so we felt it was time to haul all our equipment back to the site and make a day of it. Not long into the effort I was checking the already sifted dirt for the possible small button that may have slipped through the 1/2" mesh. But I was surprised to get a nice, crisp high tone that turned out to be the 6th coin from this pit - a cut piece from a 1736 two reale pistareen. That's the 2nd straight cut piece I've dug from this site that contained the last 2 digits of the date, so I must be living right. For the next 3-4 hours, however, we were unable to pull more than a few small flat buttons from the sifter so we decided the lack of productivity did not justify the effort so we moved on to some surface hunting. We were immediately drawn to a nearby elevated grove of trees that we had suspected might be a house site or cemetery. We had wandered around it before without much luck, but the recent deep plowing had brought brick and black glass to the surface which greatly renewed our interest. Upon nearing the knoll I eyeballed a giant base from a transitional onion bottle sticking out from the bottom of a large tractor rut. That was definitely a good sign. We were getting a lot of higher toned signals in that area, but most were musketballs or lead blobs. This is the spot where Dan found his nice cob, and I was also able to recover 2 early coins weights. One is tiny and has some interesting markings. I believe it dates to the 1600s but I've yet to do any research on it. We later left this spot and finished the day scouting and hunting a couple other sites with limited success. I was able to find, however, a triangular based barrel tap key. It was a long tough day, but I thoroughly enjoyed every minute. Hopefully we can get in a couple more hunts before planted fields end our season.

Attachments

• 040514a1.JPG
    040514a1.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 040514b.JPG
    040514b.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 040514f.JPG
    040514f.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 040514g.JPG
    040514g.JPG
    274.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 040514h.JPG
    040514h.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 040514i.JPG
    040514i.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 218
  • 040514j.JPG
    040514j.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 198
  • 040514l.JPG
    040514l.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 040514p.JPG
    040514p.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 040514n.JPG
    040514n.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 191
  • 040514o.JPG
    040514o.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Upvote 16
I thought there would be one more in there. Excellent hunt and recoveries. I hope you get a couple more hunts in before the crops surface.

Great relics there Bill. That sifting method paid off. Well worth the effort. :thumbsup:
Did you make your sifter? I need to try that myself.
Congrats,
MM

That onion base is fantastic Bill. I hope one day either you or I will be able to post up a complete onion, it's close...so close I can smell an onion.
Awesome finds as well, love the coin weights.
ZDD

Nice hunt Bill... your on a roll with those cut silvers !!!!!!!!!!

Congrats..you guys got some nice sites .

That onion base is fantastic Bill. I hope one day either you or I will be able to post up a complete onion, it's close...so close I can smell an onion.
Awesome finds as well, love the coin weights.
ZDD

Hey man - don't leave me out either...i need good mojo as well ha ha

Great job Bill on the cut silver. The coin weight is cool too. What on the obverse? It looks like a James I thistle crown weight.

Great job Bill on the cut silver. The coin weight is cool too. What on the obverse? It looks like a James I thistle crown weight.

Joey - both close-ups shown are for the same small coin weight. The larger one is more common as I've found several of those in the past.

Had fun as always bud - it seems as if it has been a slow season, but when you think of what we have found it is still quite good.

Bill, Awesome finds again. Congrats to you both!

Don

Had fun as always bud - it seems as if it has been a slow season, but when you think of what we have found it is still quite good.

Despite the limited hunting time we've had this year we've done well in both the quantity and quality departments. And we're not done yet, hopefully.

Man you guys absurdly kill it every time out. Great job again buddy. Ps I have absolutely loved your articles. Awesome

Team BD made a nice haul Bill. Both of you added nice relics to your collections & that's always a good day. HH, Q.

Big congrats to you all! Love those early spots. Is that double holed leather attachment silver or plated?

sweet relics and silver bill! good eyes!

Sweet cut silver Billy boy:headbang:

You guys are killing it out there..

I noticed you shaved:laughing7:

Blaze

Big congrats to you all! Love those early spots. Is that double holed leather attachment silver or plated?

Unfortunately it's plated, but I like it anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back