Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I found this crossed-guns military item right where I found an 1890's IH cent last year. I'm not sure if the two are related. I managed to carefully bend it back into shape, so glad I didn't break it. If anybody has info on it I'd appreciate it! And heck, another silver haha! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430437879.214718.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430437918.572150.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430437950.100684.jpg

Upvote 14

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool find and fine job reworking..

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,Teknetic T2LTD, Teknetic 5'' & 11'' coil, AT PRO, Nokta Pin Pointer, Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer, 5 x 8 Coil, Nell 15'' Attack coil, one bum eye and selective hearing.
Primary Interest:
Other
That's really cool, I would love to find any military badge of any era, that one looks old considering the type of rifles that are crossed.

edit: On reading the info from the link given above by OLD DUDE (thanks mate for that cheers) it indicates 21's Infantry Regiment company "F" 1896-1905. Again that's damn cool....gotta love history

Last edited:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find is an understatement. That is super cool.
I admit to not knowing a thing about it, as far as rarity goes, but I do know this, not many hat badges get posted at all, and I'm sure I never seen this one posted in my years of being a T-net member.

As stated don't know it's dollar value, but is a banner find. (voting momentarily)
I only got one hat badge in my 8-9 years of detecting, so it is one of my favorite finds.

Good job, fantastic find, and oh sooo glad it didn't break when you straightened it out...got to say I would have been afraid to do it, and would have taken it to ...someone else for the job.

This is your best find...IMO, as well as 2 vickie quarters in one hole, your two best finds.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's awesome JC!!, nice work straightening it, I tried that last year with a shoebuckle frame and "snap", its now in a landfill somewhere!!

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find is an understatement. That is super cool.
I admit to not knowing a thing about it, as far as rarity goes, but I do know this, not many hat badges get posted at all, and I'm sure I never seen this one posted in my years of being a T-net member.

As stated don't know it's dollar value, but is a banner find. (voting momentarily)
I only got one hat badge in my 8-9 years of detecting, so it is one of my favorite finds.

Good job, fantastic find, and oh sooo glad it didn't break when you straightened it out...got to say I would have been afraid to do it, and would have taken it to ...someone else for the job.

This is your best find...IMO, as well as 2 vickie quarters in one hole, your two best finds.

Rick, I have been researching like mad but I can't find this specific infantry and company hat badge. HOWEVER (forgive me if I'm WAY off and am totally wrong) but I read that the 21st infantry was involved with the Indian Wars. I believe the badge to be quite old, hopefully in the range I'm talking about. Man, I sure hope that's the case, but I need more information.

Thanks for the replies guys! Can't believe I was complaining about my finds last night hahaha!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can say your silver roll isn't slowing down just yet, but your military one is just getting revved up!

Badge is a gem!

Thanks Ironhorse. I'm usually a coin guy, but I can see why people are into relic hunting. I certainly don't mind relics like this haha!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick, I have been researching like mad but I can't find this specific infantry and company hat badge. HOWEVER (forgive me if I'm WAY off and am totally wrong) but I read that the 21st infantry was involved with the Indian Wars, the battle with Chief Sitting Bull to be specific. I believe the badge to be quite old, hopefully in the range I'm talking about. Man, I sure hope that's the case, but I need more information.

Thanks for the replies guys! Can't believe I was complaining about my finds last night hahaha!

Yeah don't complain about your finds, always remember it is "hunting, and not gathering"
Old Dude's link is a starting point.
I'm working on other research right now, for tomorrows dig, but I will give this a try, a bit later maybe tomorrow.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://hglanham.tripod.com/usinfantry/infantry1.html

Hope this can give you some info JC. Great find! My luck, it would have snapped when I tried to straighten it.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Old Dude. I have been trying to learn as much as I can. I'm posting a little snippet of some info I came across. I live on the North Dakota/Sask border, so I could see an ex Indian War soldier making his way up here at some point. Maybe to start his post-war life. Thanks again. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430448919.032198.jpg

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great bit of info. Isn't it wonderful to hold something in your hand that was worn/used by someone from a life and era so different from our own? Some people can't understand why I really like finding the old round balls so much...it is exactly for that reason. I wish you much luck in your research. Keep us informed. I am interested.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great bit of info. Isn't it wonderful to hold something in your hand that was worn/used by someone from a life and era so different from our own? Some people can't understand why I really like finding the old round balls so much...it is exactly for that reason. I wish you much luck in your research. Keep us informed. I am interested.

Yes Old Dude, I agree completely! It's the connection to the past that I find so satisfying when I dig something up. Mackaydon found me some additional info, I'll post it.

I'm really happy that this badge was involved in Indian War action, this was the real wild west...and I have a piece of it! I'm over the moon with this find. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430453130.183504.jpg

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon is a great contributor to this forum, he's definitely great with the coins, and as well other subjects too.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon is a great contributor to this forum, he's definitely great with the coins, and as well other subjects too.

I'll say! He's helped me with a number of things over the past few years, knowledgeable dude!

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it looks like I might have a connection to the campaign of Wounded Knee. It's hard to find exact details of what divisions were involved with specific events, but I know the 21st infantry was heavily involved with events in the area. I believe the design of the badge matches the timeframe. Also, being that I am on the U.S./Canada border, I found that some soldiers were involved with the international border commission 1872-1874. Wounded Knee was in 1890, but if the badge was lost during the border commission...it would be considered extremely old for this area. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430543128.554653.jpg

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool Badge & Silver Dime Too.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread