blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
... for me, at least.

Last week's half dollar box was a near-skunk, save for a single coin.

Like a lot of you, I unwrap the rolls and look at the rim. If I see 'not copper', then I investigate (also, if I see what appears to be a wire rim, I'll look to see if it's an impaired proof).

A bright white coin was the object of my interest and it led me down a bit of a path. See attached photos.

The coin in question was a 2001S impaired proof, but was it a clad proof that had been silver plated (I've come upon a couple of clad non-proofs that had been silver plated -- for what reason, I'm clueless) or an actual 90% silver proof?

Recall that a clad half dollar checks in at about 11.34 grams and a 90% silver one at about 12.5 grams.

The only way I thought to make that determination was to weigh it, but my kitchen scale wasn't accurate enough, so I went to my local pawn shop to find out.

Sure enough, my coin actually weighed about 12.6 grams (the clerk weighed a Walking Liberty and 1964 Kennedy half for comparison and they each checked in around 12.4 grams). There is slight variation allowed at the mint, but I would attribute this difference to wear.

I brought along a very worn (Fair - AG condition) Walking Liberty half that I got in the reject bin of a coin machine a couple of weeks ago. It checked in at 11.7 grams.

So unless someone decided to heavily silver plate a clad 2001S proof half, I got a cracked-out 90% one from a silver proof set.

BTW, I wonder if any unscrupulous characters silver plate impaired proof Kennedy halves to try to pass them off as 90% silver -- like the 1883 "No Cents" Liberty ("V") nickels that were gold plated and pawned off as a new design of the $5 gold piece.

Attachments

• 2001s half.jpg
    2001s half.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 2001s half edge.jpg
    2001s half edge.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 33
Upvote 5
OP
OP
B

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find. Couldn't you tell from the sound?

Btw, what does "Another Country Heard from" mean?
It means it's the first 90% silver impaired proof Kennedy half I've found while CRHing. I've found a couple of silver bicentennial Kennedys and a 40% silver impaired proof.

I've found scores of impaired proof Kennedys, but they've all been clad. It takes a special kind of ignorance to crack and dump a silver proof set.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Don't forget that scales aren't perfect, a variation of +/- 0.1 gram may be due to the scale.

Consider picking up a electronic scale that weighs to the 0.01 gram. They aren't too expensive.

From what you have shown it looks like you have a 2001 90% silver half dollar proof, impaired, Congrats!!!

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It means it's the first 90% silver impaired proof Kennedy half I've found while CRHing. I've found a couple of silver bicentennial Kennedys and a 40% silver impaired proof.
Sorry to harp on this, but could you expand on that?

How does "Another Country Heard from" translate to "this is the first 90% silver impaired roof Kennedy half I've found while CRHing"?

I could see "Another Country Heard from" meaning you found a coin from Zimbabwe in a Coinstar, and that's the first time you've found one from there, but a silver proof half? I don't get the use of that phrase. What "country" are you referring to?

OP
OP
B

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to harp on this, but could you expand on that?

How does "Another Country Heard from" translate to "this is the first 90% silver impaired roof Kennedy half I've found while CRHing"?

I could see "Another Country Heard from" meaning you found a coin from Zimbabwe in a Coinstar, and that's the first time you've found one from there, but a silver proof half? I don't get the use of that phrase. What "country" are you referring to?
Let's say I have never found a 1970D half dollar (which is true) and then I find one, I'd use this expression.

It's an idiomatic expression that you appear to be taking literally. My use is 'something different' or 'something new or unusual'.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread