pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I heard through the grapevine that the CMDF (Canadian Metal Detecting Forum) has been shut down. Having been a member in the past for many years it was a pretty good forum, but like many forums a handful kept it active and more than many lurked. It was bought by a member(yrs ago) that has a heart of gold, poured a lot into the running of the forum financially, and time, and my hat goes off to him. Also the crew that kept it running, putting their time into the administration, and inner workings of the site. Even though I wasn't a member for the past few yrs it still pains me in hearing of the loss. Good on ya all that were keeping it together, and welcome to all that will be posting on TNet.

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a few that are struggling to stay afloat now, and as you say, they have lots of "members" .. only of which a scant few participate, and many lurk and say nothing. I am not real sure why one joins a forum with no intent of participating.

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's probably true, but they will never know if they don't try.

Last edited by a moderator:

MUDSLINGER

Apr 4, 2014
Bourbon IN.
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must admit I don't always sign in. I usually go to general discussion first looking for topics of interest and then move on to Today's finds. I enjoy the topics with a bit of history of the town, river crossing, or activity of the area the most. I realize some have broader interests and technical instructions may interest others. I hope this sight continues as it fills my work days.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you look at the lurkers versus the members you always have a lot of people just here for the information and nothing at all to contribute. That is google I suppose a lot of people just lurking,

Last edited:

DigginDoc

Aug 6, 2017
BC, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Tesoro Eldorado, Silver, F4, F1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very true. It was a good forum and I was a long term member and poster. Too bad, because to me, it was getting better and busier.
It went down yesterday. The owner wanted out. Maybe someone will pick it up again.
Cheers
Doc....A new member here and looking forward to enjoying.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, we love CANADIANS!:hello: Sorry about your previous haunt going down. I hope you find your time and the folks here quite hospitable. I know I have been enjoying myself and getting loads of encouragement and information from a few of the knowledgeable and considerate folks here on T-net. Good day mate.:hello:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a shame.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard through the grapevine that the CMDF (Canadian Metal Detecting Forum) has been shut down. Having been a member in the past for many years it was a pretty good forum, but like many forums a handful kept it active and more than many lurked. It was bought by a member(yrs ago) that has a heart of gold, poured a lot into the running of the forum financially, and time, and my hat goes off to him. Also the crew that kept it running, putting their time into the administration, and inner workings of the site. Even though I wasn't a member for the past few yrs it still pains me in hearing of the loss. Good on ya all that were keeping it together, and welcome to all that will be posting on TNet.

This is the future!

(Removed by mod for rule violation)

Last edited by a moderator:

walnuttree

Jul 23, 2015
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Information, pics and banter attract people, many only lurk learning and maybe too shy to chat up or have nothing much to say or like a real treasure keeper, doesn't kiss and tell for rightful fear of who may be seeing. A lurker still sees the adds. Hopefully this site will continue successfully.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a sense of ha,ha helps. :laughing7:

True, and what the hell are you waiting for! ;)

It's true people like what they're used to, but I predict by say the end of Oct. they will see the light. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
True, and what the hell are you waiting for! ;)

It's true people like what they're used to, but I predict by say the end of Oct. they will see the light. :thumbsup:

Ah come on give me the opportunity of being a "Lurker" for a while. 8-)

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you look at the lurkers versus the members you always have a lot of people just here for the information and nothing at all to contribute. That is google I suppose a lot of people just lurking,

I know of one forum that has a membership base of 3,813 member, but only 4 or 5 members actively contribute. The rest are mere bumps on the log. Makes you wonder two things .. What was the purpose of joining, and what is the purpose of keeping the forum active? I know of another smaller one with 293 members and there are literally only 2 that actively participate. There are a lot of lurkers on both .. but what are they lurking?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me , it's hard to look at forums 'any kind' & not be able to express my opinion.

Unless I need Reference Material. I suppose.

I'm only a member of 3 detecting forums , 1 I got on for a "invite" that I would likely not use.
I have not looked there in over a year, No Action .

The other is more local but again ..."No action"

I type to slow & get 'involved' in the threads I start & post in . 'OCD'

I only get down 10 spots on Today' s Finds ...Cause they are all Nice imo.
or ill get side-tracked on Gen-Discussion , or Civil War, or Coins.

My computer use started in 2011, & this is the 2 ed forum I joined, the First was a gun forum , but some of those 'Gun Guy's/ Gal's can be ???. + I can only talk about certain guns Sooooo much, if I were LE or Military it would be different.

80% of my computer time each day is T-net , 5% is surfing & the rest is You-tube (but not detecting Videos).

T-net is like my '1 st computer Love', even tho I don't post on all subjects but really Who does?
Good Work T-net

DigginDoc

Aug 6, 2017
BC, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Tesoro Eldorado, Silver, F4, F1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, we love CANADIANS!:hello: Sorry about your previous haunt going down. I hope you find your time and the folks here quite hospitable. I know I have been enjoying myself and getting loads of encouragement and information from a few of the knowledgeable and considerate folks here on T-net. Good day mate.:hello:

Thanks Kurios 1 and likers!
It seems to have resurfaced temporarily but will be gone after the summer.
Looking forward to this forum and the Group. :thumbsup:
Cheers
Doc

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Even if a member doesn't actively post the site knows who and how many have signed on.
Like most things of the world, it's all about commerce. With out advertisers the money dries up.
That's why often advertisers will ask where you saw their add. Today there are ways to know anyway.
So click on the adds so they know they exist. Buy their stuff. it's symbiotic. Gotta luv that word,yes?

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well this thread has been heavily censored.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find a lot of inspiration and information here, and I try to share that point with newcomers. If you don't participate, it's your loss. I feel like I'm getting to know some of the folks here as friends in the hobby, and that only happens as we share the online experiences together and with each other. I appreciate that sense of community.

Is there another forum you consider worth also being a member of for treasure hunting and/or metal detecting? I'd be interested in knowing that, but I'm very happy being at "home" here!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread