Another excellent Day In The Woods Gets Some Nice Silver Finds Plus More...

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
twofishscales.jpg

Headed out with my usual Tuesday hunt with a buddy of mine. He used his GTI 1500, I used my AT Gold. Here's my take of the day.

coke.jpg

I eyeballed this older Coke bottle which cleaned up nicely.

boneknife.jpg

My favorite find was this old rusted out knife with a handle made of a long bone. You can see the bone matrix on both the handle and end. It was found not too far fro an old Indian encampment.

keyfob.jpg

Got some interesting miscellaneous finds as shown. After finding the good luck horseshoe, I found two old silver fishscales as shown below.

fishscales.jpg

I have hunted this area many times and so have others. These were in such an obvious place, yet were always missed, that is until today. That just goes to show you that a place is never really hunted out.....

Below are some of by buddies better finds.

Attachments

• Rosie.jpg
    Rosie.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 726

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
John my best guess it that the ten cent tags are generic and were probably used for hand crafted souvenirs or gift items from a shop long ago. The five cent fishscales never cease to delight. Awesome......

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
John, No one should know better than you... That coil has to pass over the target just right to find it, especially the deeper targets. You could have swung over it and the field could have passed on either side of them... You know there are a lot of factors that play a part in finding something and no factor is more important that plain old LUCK. One old detectorist I know swears that in order to have the best day detecting to go out when it's overcast. He claims thats when he gets the best depth out of his detector. I can't dispute the claim, he's been doing it a lot longer than me and he has the finds.

That's a good day out!!!!

tincansam

Jun 7, 2011
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds john !!! , snow yet ? , my freind in upstate NY has some in his yard. HH :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
crackerjohn said:
nice finds john !!! , snow yet ? , my freind in upstate NY has some in his yard. HH :icon_pirat:

No snow yet. None in the forecast yet. :hello2:

coincutter

Greenie
Jul 12, 2010
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Detector(s) used
ATPRO ( MXT - Bty Htr)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I becomes apparent you have both the pro and the gold
which seems to be the best for finding coins and jewelry

i have the pro
like you i like the concentric for most days
i have been looking at the etrac on the off chance it could find old silver at the family ranch which was in existence when no one spoke english
but it would be easier on the pocket to go with a gold and a few more coils
given all the success i see you having
i am beginning to think the gold may be the better choice of the two

the dirt is hard and rocky
requires a pick axe to dent it
many finds are under rocks

i used to do it with my mxt but swinging at near 7ooo ft altitude made it a wee be tough

thoughts?
thx
steve

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John you are doing a good job of convincing me on my next purchase from Garret