Another fake China made cob.........

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
These things are like a rash that won't go away...

I have been a coin collector & selling world Authentic coins on eBay for many years,All authentic coins have been checked from Hong Kong numismatic shop to comfirm that they are authentic with check details about weight and diameter is correct.I am current members of NGC.

Somehow I find little comfort in the above...the broken English doesn't help....

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
weigh them very carefully ---silver has a certain wieght and never buy a "pig in a poke" as my gramps said ===somethings you can buy online at the big companies-----IMHO spanish treasure coins or other high dollar type coins need to be bought in person or only from a "highly well known to be legit" dealer if bought online---Ivan

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver is cheap in China and the fake cobs/Roman coins etc I've seen have all been silver. They now produce medieval locks, bronze age axes, weapons, burial items (the clay statues that could in the past be identified by smell when the clay was wetted now can't as they have found a way to replicate that). Anything can be faked and they do a beautiful job but the damage done to the genuine market can't be calculated.

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all.
Coming from Denmark, Europe, I know nothing of these coins.

....but would somebody please be so kind to tell me, how you can tell that the one in the link is fake ??

agersea

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Is there another that is just like this or something? It looks real.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a whole box of fake seated dollars that were made in china.
They are not silver..and weigh about 5 or 6 grams less than a real one......so there are fakes everywhere..and yes i bought mine of ebay and then got some from someone else had bought!!!!!

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
It is a FELONY to conterfiet American minted coins regardless of the year.
EBAY CAN be sued for every dime you invest but NO ONE seems to care all that much and EBAY sure does not give a damn.
Someone said that China is the world biggest producer of silver. THIS IS NOT TRUE. In fact CHINA has very few Silver deposits.
BUT China IS the World largest buyer of scrap silver. You cannot sell any silver from China without the Chinese governments express permission.
When buying anything silver from China asked for the signed government permission papers.
You will not get anything except the run around.
BE WARNED.
Peg Leg

OP
OP
Trez

Trez

May 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still think they make the best Chinese food............. ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the chinese have hoarded silver for many many years---it goes way back to when england and china traded dope and tea---the english wanted chinese tea the chinese wanted silver for it the english then sold opium to the chinese demanding silver for it to use to "pay" for the chinese tea they wanted without "bankrupting" their own country due to their "tea habit"---china needs silver for electricial goods as they are industrizing their country greatly

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
stevemc said:
Is there another that is just like this or something? It looks real.
Yes, there are others being sold exactly like it.
Winning bid $75.40. Someone should tell the poor chap from Australia who purchased this.

Attachments

• fake cob.jpg
    fake cob.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 734

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
I buy a lot of stuff on e-bay...Won't buy from a seller located in China:

Fake Drinking Water Hits Beijing

BEIJING (AP) -- China's food safety monitor promised Tuesday to investigate a report that more than half of the water coolers in Beijing use counterfeit branded water.

The water is either tap water or purified water from small suppliers put into the water jugs and sealed with bogus quality standard marks, the Beijing Times newspaper said in a lengthy report Monday.

The newspaper said Tuesday local officials shut down a Beijing bottled water distributing station and seized safety seals and labels bearing the names of local brands.

Beijing's tap water is generally not safe to drink because of the city's aging pipes; boiling water leaves a white powdery residue inside pots and kettles.

Signs in luxury hotels in the capital tell guests that water has been treated and is safe to drink, but most Chinese consider it unsafe and do not drink it themselves.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
McSancho said:
"silver is always nice"

8)
Yes, its probably real silver, but its a fake and not worth the $75 it was sold for.

Tom Walter

Greenie
Feb 19, 2005
Well, I'm curious too.

I contacted both the seller and the person who purchased the cob in question. I'm curious to learn from where this cob is supposed to have been recovered. Hopefully the person who purchased the cob has the ability to authenticate it. I'll post what I learn.

Antiquities fraud in China is a cottage industry. When transacting with Chinese dealers on-line, the old Latin doctrine regarding property law, "caveat emptor," should be applied. However, during a two hundred year period (mid 16th - mid 18th century), Spanish merchants sailed each year to the Spice Islands (Malay Archipelago - Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia). The Spanish fleets sailed from a port located at present day Acapulco; traveling in a westerly direction. The return voyage was along the 40th parallel then south along the west coast of North America. Due to the vastness of the Pacific ocean, this trade rout went uninhibited by British navel forces till the capture of a Spanish ship in 1750 (or there about). Captured along with the ship and crew was a map of the trade rout. After that, the British attacked the Spanish trade vessels unmercifully, season upon season, till the rout was abandoned by the Spanish.

The Spice islands is fare more difficult to navigate then are the Caribbean islands. There are countless Spanish ship wrecks in the Caribbean so it seem likely that as many Spanish wrecks lie undiscovered in seas around the Spice Islands. Some of these ships would be carrying silver and gold. Some would be carrying Chinese porcelain and various other trade goods bound for Mexico. Who's to say that one or more Spanish wrecks have not been located in this region and it's treasures sold at Chinese markets?

That's my 2 cents worth.

Tom

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The way I understand it is that there are no two cobs exactly alike. If two or more identical cobs show up on e-Bay, they must be fake.

OP
OP
Trez

Trez

May 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom Walter said:
Well, I'm curious too.

I contacted both the seller and the person who purchased the cob in question. I'm curious to learn from where this cob is supposed to have been recovered. Hopefully the person who purchased the cob has the ability to authenticate it. I'll post what I learn.

Antiquities fraud in China is a cottage industry. When transacting with Chinese dealers on-line, the old Latin doctrine regarding property law, "caveat emptor," should be applied. However, during a two hundred year period (mid 16th - mid 18th century), Spanish merchants sailed each year to the Spice Islands (Malay Archipelago - Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia). The Spanish fleets sailed from a port located at present day Acapulco; traveling in a westerly direction. The return voyage was along the 40th parallel then south along the west coast of North America. Due to the vastness of the Pacific ocean, this trade rout went uninhibited by British navel forces till the capture of a Spanish ship in 1750 (or there about). Captured along with the ship and crew was a map of the trade rout. After that, the British attacked the Spanish trade vessels unmercifully, season upon season, till the rout was abandoned by the Spanish.

The Spice islands is fare more difficult to navigate then are the Caribbean islands. There are countless Spanish ship wrecks in the Caribbean so it seem likely that as many Spanish wrecks lie undiscovered in seas around the Spice Islands. Some of these ships would be carrying silver and gold. Some would be carrying Chinese porcelain and various other trade goods bound for Mexico. Who's to say that one or more Spanish wrecks have not been located in this region and it's treasures sold at Chinese markets?

That's my 2 cents worth.

Tom

Spanish cobs were definately used as currency back in the 16th, 17th , 18th centuries in China, Indonesia, and surrounding areas........
Very common in fact..........that is why many have chopmarks.....
but this particular one in the post....as well as the many others I have posted...are indeed fakes, copies, reproductions, whatever you want to call them.
My problem is that they are selling them as authentic...and unexperienced people are paying good money and being duped.
Thats wrong and puts a blemish on this style of coinage.....

Trez

Tom Walter

Greenie
Feb 19, 2005
What is it about this particular cob that sets off alarms? Not being able to examine the artifact in person; how is it possible to make such a definitive statement? I know nothing about cobs except that I wouldn't mind having a truck load. You seem knowledgeable. Can you point out errors committed by the forger?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Tom Walter said:
What is it about this particular cob that sets off alarms? Not being able to examine the artifact in person; how is it possible to make such a definitive statement? I know nothing about cobs except that I wouldn't mind having a truck load. You seem knowledgeable. Can you point out errors committed by the forger?
The cob identified as fake, in the Sedwick link, that I just posted is IDENTICAL to the cob that just sold on e-Bay this June, and several different sellers have been selling this same fake cob. Copies of this coin keep showing up on e-Bay. Here is a prior posting by Trez from Sept 2006 of two identical copies being sold at the SAME TIME on e-Bay by two different sellers! How could that be possible? This may help explain it although e-Bay pics may be too old. Do you understand? ;D NO TWO COBS ARE ALIKE.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,49057.0.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread