ANOTHER FIND-OF-A-LIFETIME: RARE New Orleans Token, BIG SILVER & FOUR MORE silvers!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANOTHER FIND-OF-A-LIFETIME: RARE New Orleans Token, BIG SILVER & FOUR MORE silvers!

Hello All,

This will be a weekend that I can never forget. I dug something really good today--something that easily beats my earlier banner find from spring! UPDATE BELOW!

Here is how the day went down:

Early in the morning I got out in the muddy soupy nasty fields with Shanegalang and we decided to go and try to scout out a new site. Walked out in that messy soup and the first thing I dug was a silver half dollar! Now I've dug a couple of Walkers in the fields, and one Franklin (all farmer drops), and I've been lucky enough to dig a couple of Seated Halves too. But it turned out that this one was a Barber Half. I was really thrilled because the last Barber Half I dug was back in 1993!! This one is an 1895-O.

HPIM5194.JPG HPIM5199.JPG HPIM5197.JPG

For all you Yankees, here is a picture of a Crawfish High-Rise. 8-)

HPIM5201.JPG

We started exploiting a nice sized iron patch, and I walked way out of the iron just to be certain and turned back around. No sooner than I did and I got an 83 reading on the F75. It was a silver quarter! :headbang: Praying for a Seated but it was a Washington. 1942.

HPIM5204.JPG

We kept hitting the field, digging a good many targets--just not many GOOD targets. I got a wheat. He got a handle from a silver spoon, then I dug the bowl which I gave to him. I got an 1888 Indian and some parasol clips. So we migrated to another site that would be much more dry due to elevated rows instead of muddy flat swamp. We'd worn ourselves out from four hours slogging through the mud! On the second site, we started digging some flat buttons right away. Then I managed to get a couple spur pieces (strap box, neck, side, and half of the piece where the rowel went). Feeling pleased, I noticed two eyeball finds in a row. The first was a green trade bead and the second was a sword hanger, both laying right on top of the ground.

HPIM5207.JPG HPIM5208.JPG

When I rounded the next row I got a signal that could either be a copper pack rivet or a half dime. Opening up the hole, a tiny silver stared back at me! It was an 1842 Quarter Franc!! My buddy dug one of these earlier in the spring on a different site, and I was STOKED to get one for my collection! :thumbsup:

HPIM5206.JPG

I also dug a flat piece of nondescript silver. No clue what that's from, but it will go in the collection.

At that point, Shangalang decided to takes his XP Deus and head home. He was worn out, and I was too--but I just couldn't leave. Within an hour, I heard a beep and instinctively stuck my shovel in the ground. When I looked down, I realized that there was a half dime sitting right on top! 1857 Seated Half Dime! That was silver #4 for the day!

HPIM5210.JPG

At that point, I decided that I would take breaks as needed and just hunt until dark. Quite a long day, when we were out there at first light!

Here is a photo of the finds up to that point in the hunt:

HPIM5217.JPG

I got into an interesting area where there were some great signs of habitation, and I dug a large cent sized disc. It only read 60 on the F75 so I knew it wasn't a copper. Thinking it might be a token, I put it in my pouch to inspect at home.

Token in hand.png

I dug a thimble or two, a couple flat buttons and eyeballed some bone buttons and shards of nice china. Targets were really thin. Then I got a screamer signal which locked right in at 82 on the F75. I just knew it had to be a silver quarter. And--it was! Silver #5!! That put the silver total at $1.10 face value in old silver in one day! :hello2:

HPIM5212.JPG HPIM5216.JPG

At that point, the light started fading, and seeing as how I'd dug so many great finds--including the mystery of the brass token which I was curious to investigate, I headed home.

Well...when I got home, and started carefully cleaning the brass disc, immediately a date of 1834 came into view!!! Turns out the token is a Hard Times Token from New Orleans, advertising the store of J. Hall Walker & Walton, listed as Ruhlau HT-121!!!

Judging from the auction listings, this token is one of my best finds ever. Only four of these tokens have come to auction in the last 100 years. Here is a link to a Stacks auction heading where the finest known example of those four brought over $40,000.00.

Stack's : Louisiana. New Orleans. J. Hall Walker & Walton. 1834. Low-85, Rulau HT-121. (AN86415399)

stacks auction.png

Here is the auction listing from the "barely legible" example of the four--which still sold for over $8,000.00!! :headbang:

Stack's : Louisiana. New Orleans. J. Hall Walker & Walton. 1834. Low-85, Rulau HT-121. (AN69131209)

stacks auction2.png

UPDATE: I just heard back from John K that this find is worth in the $5,000.00 range!

So although I think that the word "Rare" is overly used and abused on treasure hunting forums, it appears that in this case the word applies! When I dug my second counterstamped Planter's Bank silver coin here, I thought that I'd dug two finds-of-a-lifetime, in one lifetime! Well, I hope that the luck/hard work/effort keeps going, because I am happy to roll with it!

Here are photos of all the silver coin finds:

HPIM5219.JPG HPIM5220.JPG

HPIM5225.JPG HPIM5226.JPG

HPIM5221.JPG HPIM5222.JPG

HPIM5223.JPG HPIM5224.JPG

barber obv.JPG barber rev.JPG

And here are photos of the token I dug, as well as a non-dug example from online:

token obv.JPG J Hall Walker & Walton Obv.png

token rev.JPG J Hall Walker & Walton Rev.png

Best Wishes and HH,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 62

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty fricken Awesome day!

Please let us know how the token turns out?

Cheers! and HH

N.O. noir et d'or

Dec 9, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
White's Dfx 300, Fisher CZ20, Garrett ATX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow BB! The token is an unbelievable recovery! I hope yours is as monetarily rewarding as the previously auctioned tokens. Another banner find! Keep us posted.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow BB! The token is an unbelievable recovery! I hope yours is as monetarily rewarding as the previously auctioned tokens. Another banner find! Keep us posted.

Will do. Man, it's hard to get to sleep!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man BB, that is a great hunt right there!, at first I thought your one silver coin was in the "crawfish highrise" lol I had to take a second look. Very cool silvers you got, I like the 1/4 franc, and the half is great! Very cool identification of that new Orleans token, cleaned up well! all in all, a spectacular hunt, look forward to your next post!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the token, rarity is right up there at the top for any token. Well done on the other silver also, it a day to remember.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
What a day. Congrats on the Barber Half and the seated beauty. Bet your buddy wished he didn't leave. Had you hunted there before?

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Boy! I know finding silver isn't anything new to you guys, and you proved that correct yesterday ; I especially like the 1/4 franc!

But when you strike a copper it's something entirely different! I know that 'lifetime' finds isn't something to throw around loosely, but you earned the right!

Your collection is starting to stack up as one of the great ones!

Local obscure tokens is where it's at! If there's going to be big buck finds anywhere, that's the source, it's happened to you on several occasions , and it's happened to me as well, congratulations on your historic journey through time!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post & Great finds! Hope that token cleans up well and is worth a bundle for you!

-- Jeff --

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB, no words can be befitting how lucky you can be on finding another very rare relic! The PB's finds were at the top end of dream finds and now this token. Congrats on finding another rarity and the other finds, keep it up, you might become a very young retired Professor at this rate! :) Is Shane banging his head against a wall yet? So close for him and yet so far. :)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's quite a day you had there Buck. A silver-fest for sure. And congrats on continuing to make those incredible finds. Too bad that token isn't in better shape or you might have yourself quite a payday. If I can't get out myself at least I'm having a ball watching all these amazing finds coming out of the ground. Great job!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spectacular collection of stuff from that hunt

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Moses...that's a rare bird indeed! Any plans to sell?

Hard to part with my recoveries unless I am one day desperate for funds, which I hope never happens. So it looks like I am always renting more safe deposit boxes!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the token, rarity is right up there at the top for any token. Well done on the other silver also, it a day to remember.

Thx, Pepper. I know this doesn't have the eye appeal for the finds banner, but still hoping it makes it up there. How often does something BRASS make it up top?

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy! I know finding silver isn't anything new to you guys, and you proved that correct yesterday ; I especially like the 1/4 franc!

But when you strike a copper it's something entirely different! I know that 'lifetime' finds isn't something to throw around loosely, but you earned the right!

Your collection is starting to stack up as one of the great ones!

Local obscure tokens is where it's at! If there's going to be big buck finds anywhere, that's the source, it's happened to you on several occasions , and it's happened to me as well, congratulations on your historic journey through time!

Thanks so much for your reply, ironhorse! It's so true. What it takes is a collector market, and many of these local tokens are starting to come into their own--big time. I would imagine that the collector base for this one is largely because of the Hard Times time frame, the Jacksonian connection with New Orleans, the colorful list of items sold, and the scarcity of the token itself. I'm waiting more background information on this one to see if there is a backstory there that I didn't know.

Best Wishes,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB, no words can be befitting how lucky you can be on finding another very rare relic! The PB's finds were at the top end of dream finds and now this token. Congrats on finding another rarity and the other finds, keep it up, you might become a very young retired Professor at this rate! :) Is Shane banging his head against a wall yet? So close for him and yet so far. :)

Thanks for the reply, Don. Great to hear from you! Shane will get his. Just a matter of time. He's gonna hit big when he hits.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's quite a day you had there Buck. A silver-fest for sure. And congrats on continuing to make those incredible finds. Too bad that token isn't in better shape or you might have yourself quite a payday. If I can't get out myself at least I'm having a ball watching all these amazing finds coming out of the ground. Great job!

That's a shame that you can't get out. Let's make contact if I'm in Virginia this summer. Perhaps you can free up a day or two to come dig with me.

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Buckle a BIG CONGRATS on the Token, it is real cool indeed and a Banner find for sure. Of course you had a great overall day with the other finds as well :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions