ANOTHER first !!!!

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
OK, I've been waiting for this one, I almost bought a crappy one on E-bay a few days ago.

I was detecting in a town park, my wife said I shouldn't bother, because it's probably been hit a million times already. Well, on that whole beginners luck vibe, I got a signal about 15 feet into the grass. It was a solid silver hit, so I dug. I kept getting "silver" in the hole, but all of a sudden it jumped deeper. Sometimes my cortez picks up deep iron as silver, that had happened to me about 50 times already today, so I was gonna fill the hole in. I know to always check my digging, so I did, and the MD pinged REALLY good, at less than an inch. I moved a little dirt, and there it was, my first SLQ*. The hole was still pinging, so I checked around it some more, a '61 nickel, and a 60's penny, from the same hole !! The bottom of the hole still read silver, but temps were around 30 with a good breeze, and I was getting cold. I am planning on re-digging the hole tomorrow.

* Awhile ago I posted two silver wash. quarters as SLQ(thinking silver quarter), desecrator informed me that "SLQ" means standing liberty quarter, I was a little skeptical, but , no, he was right, this is definately a standing liberty quarter!!! ;D

Attachments

• 1st SLQ 01.jpg
    1st SLQ 01.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 510
  • 1st SLQ 02.jpg
    1st SLQ 02.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 509
Upvote 0

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Congrats on the Mini cache!!
Before I bought a pinpointer
wonder how many coins went
back into the hole?
Thanks for sharing!!
HH

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
OH my!! where is that unfinished hole?, probaly gold in the bottom, Way To go

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found a SLQ and filled in your hole with the detector still going off? Honestly, why would you do that? The rush from the SLQ should've kept you warm enough to dig for another minute or two.

I hope you don't have bad luck and somebody else gets there first.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are hard to find, most of them have the date worn off. I have only dug a couple. Tsgman

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
im with bsco on this one! i would have frozen to death before i would have left any silver in that hole! nice find!

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHATTT???!!!??!?!?! LOL Dude, I would've kept going for at least another half hour, maybe a lot more if I just found an SLQ. For me, it woulda been harder to walk away from that hole than to freeze a bit longer. But as long as you go back and get the rest it's all good. LOL Congrats again man! HH

garrettfan2

Jul 24, 2006
dallas ft worth
oh no!!!!! violation of a man law, or md law. it is never too cold or too hot to hunt treasure. amen. please go back so you can finish your awesome story. gf2 in tx

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold fish....nice SLQ, congrats on a nice find. I agree with everyone else....Walk away from a hole still giving a signal after I pulled a SLQ out of it???? NO WAY!!!! I would have stayed and kept digging even if my fingers were turning blue and bleeding...:) Get back there asap and hope you find more silver.

DigMO

Sep 29, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Whites 6000 Di PRO SL
Gold Fish-
You stay in where it's warm and dry and I'll finish that hole for you,lol!Nice find but you couldn't of drug me away from that hole if there was still a signal in it!Take care.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold F,

tough call.

I would have to be almost frozen ;D

But you know your area, perhaps no one
will bother it.

If it was really bad; cold, wind, rain, snow,
sleet, locust; I would had gotten warmed up
and returned as fast as I could.

Hope you pull something good when you get
back. ;D Let us know.

Congrat on your finds, nice.

have a good un.........

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Good write up. But you are killing us with waiting to go back. I actually did this type of thing about a month ago. I was on my way back to the car and got a good signal. Dug a silver washington. Checked the area and another one. The signals were pretty iffy after the first one but I pulled 4 silver quarters from a small 2ft area. Thought there might be more but said I'll be back. Well, came back and different conditions and could not pick up any more coins. Nate comes over with his DFX and digs one more silver quarter. ::) I bet if I would have been more diligent the first time I would have dug that last one.

Anyway - go back and get em!

Mirage

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread