Another good tip from tomfromnj

Tomfromnj

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if you all know but me and silver surfer are partners in crime when it comes to looking for silver. Well anyway all you td bank dumpers quick tip when your dumping don't just look in the reject tray. If you lift the coin basket out of the machine ( and all of them do ) and look where the coins fall out of the bottom of the basket you will see a magnet that catches most non silver funny money. It can be a quick buck or two each time you do a dump. Just another tip for y'all to make some free money. Gonna start charging for tips soon. Lol jk. HH.

Upvote 0

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have ?? 40lbs from that magnet. There's one in side where the coins go around be for getting counted!

OP
OP
T

Tomfromnj

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you drop the coins in and penny asks you to start dumping and you put them from the holder down the shoot. That whole rectangle shoot is a 2 part slide it goes \ that way first then / way before spinning in the counter. Well at the very end of the 2nd slide there is a magnet above it right before they fall into the rotator. It's hard to explain. Next time u dump. Just walk up to penny pull the crate out of the marble table and look in where the coins fall out of it. You'll see coins stuck to it guaranteed

OP
OP
T

Tomfromnj

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it's a good day when u get free money

OP
OP
T

Tomfromnj

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have ?? 40lbs from that magnet. There's one in side where the coins go around be for getting counted!

Not sure if you were asking where it was or telling me u have 40 lbs from cleaning that magnet

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TimZim you should sell that 40lbs. all as one big auction on ebay and see what you get

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that magnet is awesome. I scrape it every time I go into a TD. Just watch out for pins. I think the magnet also accounts for all the extra clad that gets counted. In branches where the tellers haven't cleaned the magnet off in a long time and there is big bulky stuff stuck to it it sometimes blocks all the clad U.S. coins from falling into the hopper. I usually try to go into dump when they are relatively busy and I always bring enough to trigger a bag change. As soon as it says the bag is full, I pull the metal thing out, scrape all the funny money off and then tilt the metal chute both ways so that any extra clad falls out into the hopper.

Once they come to open the machine I also check the little shelf inside the machine that tellers sometimes put random coins on and then I check all the way up the reject tube. Some of the reject tubes aren't angled right and extra coins (and sometimes silver) get stuck pretty far up the tube. Finally, when I first start dumping, I let the machine run for 10 seconds or so to listen for anything stuck on the actual wheel since sometimes the machines will have large dollars stuck in them. If I here something stuck in the machine I ask the teller to open it all the way because I think I may have put a large dollar in it by mistake.

Tim, where is this second magnet? I haven't seen this one yet and I've spent a lot of time studying these things. TD machines are a pain to dump a lot of half dollar volume into, but they are great for all the free extras you get out of them.

OP
OP
T

Tomfromnj

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that magnet is awesome. I scrape it every time I go into a TD. Just watch out for pins. I think the magnet also accounts for all the extra clad that gets counted. In branches where the tellers haven't cleaned the magnet off in a long time and there is big bulky stuff stuck to it it sometimes blocks all the clad U.S. coins from falling into the hopper. I usually try to go into dump when they are relatively busy and I always bring enough to trigger a bag change. As soon as it says the bag is full, I pull the metal thing out, scrape all the funny money off and then tilt the metal chute both ways so that any extra clad falls out into the hopper.

Once they come to open the machine I also check the little shelf inside the machine that tellers sometimes put random coins on and then I check all the way up the reject tube. Some of the reject tubes aren't angled right and extra coins (and sometimes silver) get stuck pretty far up the tube. Finally, when I first start dumping, I let the machine run for 10 seconds or so to listen for anything stuck on the actual wheel since sometimes the machines will have large dollars stuck in them. If I here something stuck in the machine I ask the teller to open it all the way because I think I may have put a large dollar in it by mistake.

Tim, where is this second magnet? I haven't seen this one yet and I've spent a lot of time studying these things. TD machines are a pain to dump a lot of half dollar volume into, but they are great for all the free extras you get out of them.

I do everything you just said to except one thing. I scrape that magnet as soon as I walk in. Lol. O and there was this one td that had their plate angled in the reject tray to block the coins from coming out and let them fall behind the bags. Or the other day the machine was broke and let us dump like 800 in halves in one bag. That was great till the penny filled up like a fat slob on thanksgiving and then didn't print us out a slip. But anyway funny money is great. It's free it's money and its another part of coin roll hunting that is fun.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TD must be reading posts like this because the reject tube (the one at the bottom by the tray) has become less productive for me and, more importantly, an angled piece of metal seems to have been installed in a lot of machines that makes it hard to stick fingers into the reject tube.

The magnet in the top hopper can be fun, but it has only yielded foreign coins and some steel cents for me (anything magnetic). Some branches have the top hopper rigged so that customers cannot pull it out, but not all. The other magnet folks talk about is inside the machine and can't be accessed unless a teller opens the machine and takes it apart a little. You have to have a good relationship to get these coins usually, most tellers clean the coins off the inside magnet and put them in an envelope to send off (so they tell me). It's convenient that TD is a Canadian bank because they must be pulling a lot of free Canadian coins through their US coin machines.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys coin counters much be much more complicated that mine

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do everything you just said to except one thing. I scrape that magnet as soon as I walk in. Lol. O and there was this one td that had their plate angled in the reject tray to block the coins from coming out and let them fall behind the bags. Or the other day the machine was broke and let us dump like 800 in halves in one bag. That was great till the penny filled up like a fat slob on thanksgiving and then didn't print us out a slip. But anyway funny money is great. It's free it's money and its another part of coin roll hunting that is fun.

Yeah, I actually have much better dumping options than TD for convenience, but I still like hitting a few TD counters every week just for the freebies. I absolutely love when I go into a TD bank where they don't have their act together and the half bag is blocking the reject tube. I've been in branches where the half bag has the tube blocked and when they open the machine the tube is literally packed from end to end and top to bottom with rejects. I've gotten close to $20 in extra clad from each of these scenarios

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The second magnet is located on the underside of the yellowish plastic housing that covers the rotating coin wheel.

Thanks for the tip. I had no idea that was there. That one might be a little tough for me to hit though for some foreign.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TD must be reading posts like this because the reject tube (the one at the bottom by the tray) has become less productive for me and, more importantly, an angled piece of metal seems to have been installed in a lot of machines that makes it hard to stick fingers into the reject tube.

The magnet in the top hopper can be fun, but it has only yielded foreign coins and some steel cents for me (anything magnetic). Some branches have the top hopper rigged so that customers cannot pull it out, but not all. The other magnet folks talk about is inside the machine and can't be accessed unless a teller opens the machine and takes it apart a little. You have to have a good relationship to get these coins usually, most tellers clean the coins off the inside magnet and put them in an envelope to send off (so they tell me). It's convenient that TD is a Canadian bank because they must be pulling a lot of free Canadian coins through their US coin machines.

I've had machines where the top hopper is tough to get out, but that has always been at branches where the magnet hasn't been cleaned in a long time and there is so much stuff stuck to the magnet that it sticks out and makes it so you have to angle the hopper to get it out of the hole. Is this what you are talking about?

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always check that magnet, I have found fifteen steel cents so far on top of countless foreign coins.

jerico1835

Nov 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked the magnet last week and got in trouble with the manager for lifting the tray out of the counter top. =( Still found 11 foreign coins in that one.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have pulled lots of steel cents from it as well. There are a few TD banks in my area that have the coin machine on the other side of a wall. When the tellers change the bag you cant even see them. I hate those. makes looking in the bags and around the reject shoot impossible. Anyone else have these type?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread