Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everybody! With the beautiful weather yesterday my son Andrew and I had a chance to get up early and return to that local farm where we've found some amazing colonial coins and buttons. The farmer just turned the field, and you know what that means: it's like a whole new field!

We started with the 11" coil on the Equinox, but this field has metal everywhere in the area of the old 1700's-1800's home. Each hole would typically produce 2-4 pieces of metal of various types, which made the 11" just not precise enough to sort out the good from the bad.
After about 30 minutes I switched to the 6" coil and it made all the difference. With that coil we very quickly found a 1939 Mercury Dime - our first silver from this field.
We continued to get promising signals but they turned out to be pieces of lead, a copper grommet, a .223 shell casing - but no more coins for another hour or so.

Toward the end of the visit my son was just randomly putting the pinpointed into the ground and digging whatever it detected. In his last hole there were 3 nails - no surprise - but next to the nails was an 1810 Large Cent! Yes, he found it with the pinpointed alone. For all I know I passed the detector over it and dismissed the scratchy signal, who knows. I'm so happy for him!

Later in the day I was asked to help a neighbor try to find a drain pipe. It was under the driveway and there was no way my Equinox was finding that, but the neighbor let me detect the yard. In an area where an old road passed through I found an absolutely beautiful flat button, from LH&Scovill that says "Extra Rich". As you'll see it has more gold gilt remaining than any other button I've ever found. A little research showed me that Leavenworth, Hayden & Scovill only made these buttons between 1811 and 1827 (Scovill went on making buttons and the Scovill Fastener Company is still in business today).

I took our GoPro on the trip and whipped up a quick video; I hope you'll enjoy it!

- Brian

6oILS78.jpg uXL5A5u.jpg

iVI098N.jpg g7yMm6h.jpg

CvtyNEw.jpg

All the other stuff we dug up at the Farm:
ffza9PW.jpg

The video:

Upvote 15

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My best experiences have been hunting with my son and grandchildren- well done! Nice finds too :icon_thumleft:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and research on the flat button to narrow the date down...

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice, that 6inch coil is a winner

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions