Another "hunted out" spot

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
Another "hunted out" spot

My dad and I have been hitting a few parks close by the house just to get the rust off. Tuesday night, we found 16 Memorials, 2 Wheats ('41 & '56D), 2 Clad dimes, and lots of pull tabs.

Tonight, we hit an old ball field. We know it has been detected pretty hard in the past, but what the heck. As soon as we got out of the car, I knew it was going to very windy and cold. I found 2 Memorials right away. A few minutes later, I found a Wheat cent (another '56D). My MXT read 4 inches, but it was closer to 6-7 inches deep. A little while later, I had a good penny hit with a depth reading of 6 inches. I cut a good plug and dug deeper, but no coin. It was so cold I simply wrote it off as something big down deep. I filled the hole back in and returned the plug.

We hunted for a little while longer pulling a couple of more Memorials. My dad was ready to quit due to the bitter wind, so I decided to hit the deep penny signal once more. It still came up solid. My dad removed the plug and dug even deeper. He called me back over and I hit the hole and received no signal. I passed the coil over the dirt pile and got a solid signal. My dad sifted through the dirt and pulled a penny. It ended up being a 1902 IH! It was in very bad shape, but still a pretty neat find for a "worked out" spot.

Sure hope it warms back up! Good luck out there.
Dan

OP
OP
oneeye

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
Re: Another "hunted out" spot

Spooky said:
hey Dan, Ja tried to get out for a few hours myself but the wind was getting on my nerves (wind chills were about 20 degrees too)

The MXT does that to me on the depth.
I have noticed that it tends to read shallower than it actually is on VDIs in the 55-80 range (a lot of pennies and dimes) when I use the 950 or 300 coil.

Not so much with the 5.3 elliptical, that's almost always within an inch.
Mine also seems to read shallower than it is when the ground is wet.
I haven't tried the 5.3. Might have to check one of those out.

Dan

OP
OP
oneeye

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used

Spooky said:
oneeye said:
Spooky said:
hey Dan, Ja tried to get out for a few hours myself but the wind was getting on my nerves (wind chills were about 20 degrees too)

The MXT does that to me on the depth.
I have noticed that it tends to read shallower than it actually is on VDIs in the 55-80 range (a lot of pennies and dimes) when I use the 950 or 300 coil.

Not so much with the 5.3 elliptical, that's almost always within an inch.
Mine also seems to read shallower than it is when the ground is wet.
I haven't tried the 5.3. Might have to check one of those out.

Dan

It's a sweet little coil, and works GREAT around fences and in among trees and such..
Also in trashy ground, you can get between the signals and pick stuff out.
I love it.

heck sometimes I use it right off the bat.
You sacrifice a little coverage and a SMALL amount of depth though.

I have a 300, a 950 and 5.3 elliptical that I use interchangeably on my DFX and MXT.

Looks you had a good take in a "hunted out" spot, lol...

Yeah, we were only there for about 30 minutes. The wind chill was pretty brutal. We will definitely be back on a nicer day.
Dan

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice one on the indian find! I have a ballfield that I have hit for 2 years. At first I thought it was hammered! I ended up digging bunches of indians, mercs, barbers, SLQ, seated, tons of wheaties, etc, etc,....concentrate on that field and dig the "whispers"

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WTG Dan! I love those hunted out spots! :headbang:

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like ya had a great hunt Dan :thumbsup: I like hunting those hunted out spots, usually when I go to a spot like that I ignore the surface zincs and listen for the deep stuff. I'll still dig the copper and clad though cause ya never know when someone missed a wheat.

DanMI

May 26, 2007

Way to be persistent and squeek out a keeper!! Nice! hh dan

OP
OP
oneeye

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used

Thanks guys. Not a big haul, but definitely satisfying to pick up keepers at "hunted out" sites.

I hit another park yesterday for about an hour. I have driven by it hundreds of times. I drove by it again yesterday on my way to get a haircut and I noticed an older section isolated from the newer sections of the park. For some reason, it "clicked" this time and I had to hunt it.

My dad couldn't go due to a dinner appt, so I ran out alone. I only lasted an hour due to the cold wind, but it was a good hour. I found 27 clad coins, 7 Wheats ('36 being the oldest) and 2 Merc dimes. Lots of deep signals, but I need a little warmer weather so I can slow down.

Hope everyone is out there this weekend.
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread