Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANOTHER " I GOT BOOTED OUT" AFTER THE FACT

I got permission to hunt a 1849 church yard. This morning an elder ( we are related by marriage ) came over and said that some of the direct decendants of the original people that built the first log cabin church said they didn't want anyone md'ing there. I went over a large area and only dug a few holes yesterday mostly because the ground was frozen in spots where it was shady most of the day. One target was supposed to be a dime at 8" but it turned out to be a 1944 wheat. I also got a dog rabies vaccination tag and some new clad. Now I wish I hadn't even went over there because I found some very good sounding signals along the old sidewalk. A couple bounced from 50 cent to a dollar signal at 6" deep. The ground was frozen there. Now I will always want to go again but I can't. DANG IT ANYHOW!!!

Upvote 0

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: ANOTHER " I GOT BOOTED OUT" AFTER THE FACT

Hey Dang, u allready have an inside footing, your relative. Try asking him to talk to the original descendants about the items you find being put on display in the ft. vestibule of there church. That would add insight into the history of there church from its humble orgins to the present day. Appeal to there vanity that items you would find would greatly add to there cultural history. While the items would belong to you, you would present them as a token of good faith(sorry no pun intended) for them allowing you to be the only person allowed to hunt on there property.

Naturally it would be at your discretion what items you would present to them for display. But that is your decision.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rats!

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

Sounds like some of the family doesn't care and others don't like it. The big question is, who owns the property? Is it the descendants of those that lived there? Or is it the person that gave you permission? Or are they the same person? If the one person in the family who's name is on the title/deed to the property gave you permission, the others that don't want you there can amscre, vamos, hit the bricks, beat sand, take a hike, pound salt, p-off or any other nice phrase of your choosing. If the one person that holds the title/deed sides with the rest of the family, you're SOL. Find another spot.

King-John

Jan 14, 2007
Grass Valley, Ca.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac/X1 Probe, Whites 6000 XL pro, Ace 250,

Brings new meaning to written permission, that verbal means nothing :'(

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:(

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5

TheSleeper said:
Hey Dang, u allready have an inside footing, your relative. Try asking him to talk to the original descendants about the items you find being put on display in the ft. vestibule of there church. That would add insight into the history of there church from its humble orgins to the present day. Appeal to there vanity that items you would find would greatly add to there cultural history. While the items would belong to you, you would present them as a token of good faith(sorry no pun intended) for them allowing you to be the only person allowed to hunt on there property.

Naturally it would be at your discretion what items you would present to them for display. But that is your decision.

That is a good idea, of course you don't have to let them know ALL that you find ( if they let you hunt again....) you could show them the "junk" items and keep some good coins... ;)

T

TreasureTales

TheSleeper said:

Yep, agree with TheSleeper. Emphasize the historical significance the items have. Make it a win-win situation, and everybody involved will be happy. Then, if they still decline your offer, just chalk it up to another lesson learned and move on.

No use making enemies over a few dollars worth of whatever. People talk, if you tick off somebody--even if you can secure the property owner's permission--you haven't really had success, you've instead left yourself subject to bad feelings and rumors being spread. No metal detectorist wants a bad reputation.

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Maybe a second approach will work as Sleeper suggested Dang. Just make sure you're attending services regularly every Sunday ;)

Elders in any congregation usually have alot of pull ...

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charlene said:
Just make sure you're attending services regularly every Sunday ;)

We'd do anything to hunt a cherry spot.

OP
OP
DANGLANGLEY

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for all the input fellow md'ers. You have a great day now.

D

doyboy

Giving up on a 50 cent to Dollar reading??? I would be putting my stealth gear on for that one! 8)

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage

doyboy said:
Giving up on a 50 cent to Dollar reading??? I would be putting my stealth gear on for that one! 8)
LMAO! I hear ya there.
HH, Mike in NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread