Another $ilver dollar Tuesday

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Well my good luck with silver dollars is continuing in 2014. On my way home from work today I stopped at a bank to check for customer halves and big dollar coins. I was in the commercial drive thru and the lady teller said she had a couple of big dollar coins and when she held them up I could see through the drive thru window one of them clearly looked silver. Well I got one clad Ike and one '76S silver Ike. The 76S has a very glossy finish so I'm pretty sure its proof and positive its silver (doesn't show too well in the last pic). And this is the same bank I got 2 x 71S Ikes a few months ago on Tuesday 9-3-13. Maybe it was from the same customer, maybe someone with a business account. So I'm gonna make sure to keep checking back with this bank to see if my good luck continues.

Well this is the 10th silver dollar I've found CRHing in the past 3 years: 4 Morgans, 4 silver Ikes, 1 ASE in Feb 2013, and 1 Peace dollar late last year.

H$H!

Attachments

• IMG_20140114_160125-1-1.jpg
    IMG_20140114_160125-1-1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_20140114_160210-1.jpg
    IMG_20140114_160210-1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20140114_160303-1.jpg
    IMG_20140114_160303-1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys. Btw, on the subject of dollar coins, I have 8 bank rolls of SBA's that appear to be all '79P's that I got from a bank when I scored a nice collection dump of silver in Feb. 2012. They have faded wrappers printed $25 DOLLARS BRANDT INC WATERTOWN WIS USA. I haven't opened them since they appear to be OBW rolls but since they are just SBA's do u think it's worth opening them and checking for any '79P near date varieties or trying to sell them sealed for a little profit if I can?

H$H!

Attachments

• SBA rolls.jpg
    SBA rolls.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 67

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys. Btw, on the subject of dollar coins, I have 8 bank rolls of SBA's that appear to be all '79P's that I got from a bank when I scored a nice collection dump of silver in Feb. 2012. They have faded wrappers printed $25 DOLLARS BRANDT INC WATERTOWN WIS USA. I haven't opened them since they appear to be OBW rolls but since they are just SBA's do u think it's worth opening them and checking for any '79P near date varieties or trying to sell them sealed for a little profit if I can?

H$H!

I think you could come out better to open them and pluck out any near dates, but that's just me.

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you could come out better to open them and pluck out any near dates, but that's just me.

Yeah you're probably right. Unless I'm able to sell them for a profit to someone interested in taking the chance of finding some nice condition near date varieties. I know they're just SBA's but I guess I still seem to have a reluctance of opening any OBW rolls that have been sealed for so long....even just rolls from the 70's. I think I'll probably just keep them for myself still sealed a while longer. :)

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah you're probably right. Unless I'm able to sell them for a profit to someone interested in taking the chance of finding some nice condition near date varieties. I know they're just SBA's but I guess I still seem to have a reluctance of opening any OBW rolls that have been sealed for so long....even just rolls from the 70's. I think I'll probably just keep them for myself still sealed a while longer. :)

Are there any near date enders? I think if there were, you could probably sell those rolls for a nice profit.

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Are there any near date enders? I think if there were, you could probably sell those rolls for a nice profit.

I don't see any near date enders but its kinda hard to tell for sure on a couple of them. And I didn't look at them close enough before either because I just noticed 2 enders are 80S. Oh well, too bad they didn't mint any silver SBA's. :)

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't see any near date enders but its kinda hard to tell for sure on a couple of them. And I didn't look at them close enough before either because I just noticed 2 enders are 80S. Oh well, too bad they didn't mint any silver SBA's. :)

If they are just old circulated rolls, I'd probably just open them then. There could be some nice near dates within; I do know how you feel about not wanting to disturb unopened old machine wrapped rolls though; my uncle gave me a MWR of 1969-S cents (stamped on the outside "United California Bank") that I didn't open, but have thought about opening just to see if there are any 1969-S DDOs.

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
If they are just old circulated rolls, I'd probably just open them then. There could be some nice near dates within; I do know how you feel about not wanting to disturb unopened old machine wrapped rolls though; my uncle gave me a MWR of 1969-S cents (stamped on the outside "United California Bank") that I didn't open, but have thought about opening just to see if there are any 1969-S DDOs.

Yeah I think I will probably just open them up since they aren't all solid date '79P's and I suppose that means not even uncirculated like I was thinking. Maybe I can get lucky finding a '79P near date or two. I don't think I've ever found one before. Good luck with your '69S cent roll if u decide to open it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread