fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could still shoot long guns but neck surgery and Drs. orders won't let me. As for pistols I own a few the newest being an S&W MP Shield in 9mm that was a Christmas gift from my wife in 2017. So far I have loaded the clip but have never chambered a round. Hopefully I will be able to shoot it at a range in the next two or three years.:dontknow:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In MA where that business is you have to have a firearms permit which is at the discretion of your local police chief to possess even a .22 rifle, any rifle or shotgun. With a handgun permit each and every handgun you own must be registered to your permit. The American Revolution may have begun in MA but they have a lot of very restrictive laws. In small towns if the chief doesn't like the cut of your jib, no permit.

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
I thought it was the same in N.Y.?
In MA where that business is you have to have a firearms permit which is at the discretion of your local police chief to possess even a .22 rifle, any rifle or shotgun. With a handgun permit each and every handgun you own must be registered to your permit. The American Revolution may have begun in MA but they have a lot of very restrictive laws. In small towns if the chief doesn't like the cut of your jib, no permit.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was the same in N.Y.?

No, in NY no papers needed to possess rifles and shotguns. Full carry pistol permits are not so easy to get though. In NY City permits are needed for long guns too, but not the rest of the state. I do own and shoot a black powder revolver, they are also legal to own in NY state but you still need a permit to carry it loaded. It is legal to carry them from place to place such as a range or a friend's house as long as they are unloaded and all the necessities to load are not in the car. You can have pistol, ball, and powder but no caps, etc. You can shoot on private property and ranges that allow black powder, no permit needed.

Last edited:

Timbermaster

Oct 21, 2018
MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear that gunsil. Thats BS. Sounds like some major INFRINGEMENT

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
True gunsil, I'm from Mass, but have had no trouble obtaining a type A handgun permit. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread