Another Newbie in the NW Chicago Suburbs

chiil

Greenie
Jul 31, 2010
Denver
Detector(s) used
DFX 300 w/ Sun Ray Probe, TDI SL SE
Hi Everyone!

A few months ago, I happened upon my wife's nephew's cheapie National Geographic metal detector in our garage. A few hours of playing with it *I must have not wanted to clean the garage as I had planned*, then surfing onto someone's MD website, a few youtube videos later... I'm now the proud owner of a White's DFX MD. Figured why not go all out. :-\

My wife thinks I'm either crazy or trying to re-live my childhood days. Today I took it out for a spin and my wife came along for the trek. While I was waiting for it to arrive, I had researched online, looked at google maps for some potential sites, etc. It was really fun trying to figure out where to start.

I found a dead end road in the neighborhood that had a large empty field, that used to have an old farm house on it. There were still some really old trees on the side of the road near the ditch. At the far end of the road was a property with "no trespassing", and I figured I was relatively safe sticking to the side of the road near what looked like a gravel company, far away from that house. We headed over to the old tree and right off the bat I got a good reading. Default program picked it up as a quarter. We dug it up as cleanly as possible, and found an old smashed beer can. Cleaned up the hole, patched it... and we got another strong hit about 5 feet away. At this point, a car was driving by *heading to the property at the end of the road* and the car stopped and asked what we were doing. I told explained we were finding old beer cans *showed him the one we just pulled* and were breaking in our detector. He seemed irritated we were on this road. He asked us which city we were from and I told him. Then he looked like he was thinking. I politely told him we could leave if he liked, told him we were just finishing up, and asked if we were on his property. He didn't answer me and just muttered the police don't like people parking on the road and drove off. The hole we were digging just had another smashed beer can.

When we got home, I soon realized that I might be getting people upset with this new hobby. :-[ Did I do a "no-no" and have my hand slapped? I'm beginning to realize there may be no safe place to use this new tool. :(

BTW, my wife really enjoyed finding the two smashed beer cans... I guess it was the anticipation of pulling out something old. :)

Hope to learn a lot from all of you and share more stories!

Gabe

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Red here, welcome to Tnet, the best website ever for treasure hunters!!!! I don't detect but my husband chug does, he hits local parks and waterways, he gets lots of comments, and that is to be expected with this hobby, not many people understand, or don't want to. One of the best things to do when you find a place to dig, is make as small a hole as possible, and cover them back up, especially in a park or the beach, my husband carries a bag with him for the trash he finds, so he leaves wherever he has been a little cleaner and safer for others. I know there are tons of people here who hunt that you can ask for advice, I've learned from chug and this website. Oh and one more thing, keep having fun, today two cans, tomorrow.....who knows, chug has been very lucky so far this year!!!! Good luck and HH!!!!!! :hello:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey Gabe, we'll have to report you to the society police now, you've upset someone. Maybe that'll get some of us bumped off the list...

Welcome to TNet. Plenty of folks around here that are busy doing what you've just fallen into. A blurry, psuedo-psychotic search for meaning in old metal objects. Ot just plain hittin' it to the oldies.

Wifey has had a good run over the couple decades I've been out there. She doesn't wear jelwery, but somehow I know I've found a keeper when it disappears from my stash and sometime later I locate it in her jewelry box, or one of the kid's own stashes. Good for them, because they are as ratty as me at packing the stuff up and not getting rid of it.

Get some extra space in your place, you'll be needing it. If you make up around Elgin let me know and I'll let you clear the beer cans out of some of my sites!

Have fun and happy hunting!

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome...To the best ILLINOIS section of the site....
Been harassed by people who don't understand the hobby.
Police called many of times.
Note left on the windshield wiper.

Police say " Good Luck"
I get a good laugh and then get to aggravate them more by detecting a bit longer then I anticipated too just so there blood boils
to the brink of a heart attack then I leave.

Best places to hunt.... ASK PERMISSION IN PERSON to hunt private property like farms and homesteads.

If your around the Des Plaines area let me know.. There a quite a few guys around the NW burbs

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard chiil. My DFX has been working just super great for me (extra help from litefire56).
Swing more and you will learn more. HH DFW

OP
OP
C

chiil

Greenie
Jul 31, 2010
Denver
Detector(s) used
DFX 300 w/ Sun Ray Probe, TDI SL SE
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm hoping to get out a bit today and try a park, or even my local fishing spot. But first I have to check off a couple items on the honey-do list. :tongue3:

Gabe

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard the IL section. . . and to T-Net!

Lots of us around in & around the Chicago area. . . just let us know
where you're at and I'm sure you can get out for a hunt with someone
that knows a few good places.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
welcome aboard to T-net and Illinois forum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread