Another Newbie Question

heymirth

Aug 19, 2015
Just North of Detroit
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a friend who's original house foundation was 1830 and was a farm house with a barn next door. I have historical aerials and he said I can hunt it.

Every 2 feet I hit iron signals and LOTS of them and it seems most of the property had a barn fire so it seems like everything beeps even if I descriminate. Even a great dime signal turns out large hunks of farm iron

Question---- how do you hunt a property like this?

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to try a smaller coil and concentrate on small areas. As you clean these areas of the bigger iron the good targets that are being mask will start to turn up. A site like this takes a lot of time and patience but there should be good stuff there. Good luck

HH, Relic Nut

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Rust every two feet is kinda "clean". Should be no prob sniping goods outa there. Low sense, high scrim to begin. relic nut advice about small coils is the way to go. A good dose of patience needed, work slow and dont expect to find much, a lost coin was a big deal back in those days. But a real doozie could be awaiting your coil.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the day my buddy's pre-teen kid found a fruit jar of late 1800 early 1900 silver at an old foundation site on a remote location in the Tug Hill NY region. I never found anything remarkable at old foundations, just an IHC or two. The most experienced old timer up here (been tecting for 40+ years) tells me his best find at a foundation site is a seated quarter. Not much money for the poor farmer folk back in the day. If you had any money, it was probably hidden in the house or more likely buried under the chicken coup or some plumb crazy place.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig it all up, who said finding treasure was easy

"Got to pay your dues if you wanna sing the blues and you know it don't come easy."

Ringo Starr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread