Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another "non typed" point

I must have 50 or 60 of these, all from the same place. most are this material, a few are quartzite. Today, Charlie and I were on a quick, after work walk along the river and after picking up a few white quartz flakes, i found this little guy. It was just uncovered by the lapping waves of a rising tide. I say untyped, because i have never seen these kind of points named. Since it was a site mostly used for fishing, it may have been a small spear tip. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• July 23 small1.jpg
    July 23 small1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 327
  • July 23 small 3.jpg
    July 23 small 3.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 330
  • july 23 small and charlie.jpg
    july 23 small and charlie.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 340
  • July 23 small blurry.jpg
    July 23 small blurry.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 340
  • July 23 flakes 1.jpg
    July 23 flakes 1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 332
  • July 23 flake close.jpg
    July 23 flake close.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 329
  • July 23 flake close2.jpg
    July 23 flake close2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 333
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Another "non typed" point

On a village site they built traps and used nets for fishing. You have sure found a bunch of them. Is there any way you can see a use for cleaning (gutting) a fish? All they wanted out were the intestines everything else went in the pot. They have got to have a use,, What is it??

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

uniface said:
They seem to be flake tools, Airborne80.

No doubt about it---- many of the flakes that I find were used for various things. I have so many containers of beautiful white quartz flakes its pathetic hahah. But I also have many that were clearly used for knapping, cutting meat or who knows.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TnMountains said:
On a village site they built traps and used nets for fishing. You have sure found a bunch of them. Is there any way you can see a use for cleaning (gutting) a fish? All they wanted out were the intestines everything else went in the pot. They have got to have a use,, What is it??

Yes...... I can see uses for many of the items that I find. I doubt that most would agree with me hahah... but in the end, all we can do is identify the evidence that is visible, factor in the knowlledge of the area and then..... make an educated guess. I will tell you that the white quartz flake in the close up makes a great finger nail cleaner hahaha. Who knows,

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good pic of the dog. I wouldn't have speared fish if I could avoid it. I would have poisoned them or built a little corral and herded them into it. There's no point in cleaning them either. Just throw them in the fire alive. When the scales turn black, they're ready. Try it sometime. Cool point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread