Another old find in Colonial field a Reale not sure of date 1737?

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back today for another hunt in the old Colonial field 90 minutes i hit pay dirt !! the tall grass really takes its toll on me as you will see in pics i got a low tone signal a +47 it said 8 inches deep but it sounded very clear so i dug it and dug and dug :laughing9: finally i almost gave up after 15 minutes i look in the hole and there is a edge of coin in the dirt my pin pointer didnt find it ? hhmm anyway i took a few pics of the dig I think its a Spanish Reale date ? 1737 i need advise how to clean this baby ? i do not want to ruin it all i did so far is water ! it was found very near the 1600,s buckle i dug yesterday . Dd60

Attachments

• 100_0735.jpg
    100_0735.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 700
  • 100_0742.jpg
    100_0742.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 674
  • 100_0736.jpg
    100_0736.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 699
  • 100_0739.jpg
    100_0739.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 680
  • 100_0728.jpg
    100_0728.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 244
Upvote 0
U

umrgolf

Looks like a King George II farthing.. Nice find, not sure about the date but it's the younger head so I'd say that's pretty close

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
are you sure it's a reale?
No iam not sure until its cleaned which i could use some advise Dd60

U

umrgolf

Deepdiger60 said:
creeper71 said:

It's definitely not a reale.. Spanish reales are silver.. Your coin is copper and a KGII (English), either a farthing or a halfpenny.. To clean it, boil some peroxide and put the coin in for a bit and it will remove the dirt.. maybe a small amount of mineral oil after cleaning. Also, it could be a counterfeit so I'd wait til Iron Patch sees it and helps out.. Don't do anything to it until someone with more knowledge says something. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf2000 said:
Deepdiger60 said:
creeper71 said:

It's definitely not a reale.. Spanish reales are silver.. Your coin is copper and a KGII (English), either a farthing or a halfpenny.. To clean it, boil some peroxide and put the coin in for a bit and it will remove the dirt.. maybe a small amount of mineral oil after cleaning. Also, it could be a counterfeit so I'd wait til Iron Patch sees it and helps out.. Don't do anything to it until someone with more knowledge says something. :thumbsup:
Got it ill wait the green patina should gave me a clue that its not silver it was not far from the buckle i found yesterday maybe 50 yards on top of the hill why would anyone want to counterfeit a copper coin ?

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepdiger60 said:
umrgolf2000 said:
Deepdiger60 said:
creeper71 said:

Got it ill wait the green patina should gave me a clue that its not silver it was not far from the buckle i found yesterday maybe 50 yards on top of the hill why would anyone want to counterfeit a copper coin ?

Yep, I'd have to agree with Jeff (UMRGolf) that its a KG II. As far as counterfeits go.....copper coinage was vastly
counterfeited here in the American colonies. It could easily be a counterfeit, which, by the way, doesn't mean that
it isn't just as cool or rare....many of the counterfeits are actually great finds :wink: :wink:

And cleaning....I like to dry brush mine, maybe use some water....alot of times if the copper coin is too worn, too much cleaning will ruin your ability to really see the detail on the coin.....just keep that in mind DeepDigger60 :icon_thumleft: :wink:

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres some better pictures more close up

Attachments

• 100_0743.jpg
    100_0743.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 622
  • 100_0744.jpg
    100_0744.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 625

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepdiger60 said:
Heres some better pictures more close up

I'd use a toothbrush or a similar brush and dry brush it alittle to see if it makes King George's profile pop......
then you can progress from there.....if it doesn't help...you can use some water......some people use soap and water too....

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf2000 said:
Looks like a King George II farthing.. Nice find, not sure about the date but it's the younger head so I'd say that's pretty close

Absolutely!

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
umrgolf2000 said:

Absolutely!
I still dont know a date is it around 1716 kind of looks like 17-7 ? and is a hot HP bath advisable you got to remember i aint no expert on these old finds :dontknow: Thanks for any help
Dd60

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepdiger60 said:
Iron Patch said:
umrgolf2000 said:

Absolutely!
I still dont know a date is it around 1716 kind of looks like 17-7 ? and is a hot HP bath advisable you got to remember i aint no expert on these old finds :dontknow: Thanks for any help
Dd60

1730s is the time frame. George I was 1717-1724, then George II started a short time later.

I suspect that one won't get much better with cleaning. It's very pitted. It might even look worse when you're done. Let it air dry after the HP, will keep some of the color which might help a little.

PS... I wouldn't worry too much about that one because you'll find much better! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Deepdiger60 said:
Iron Patch said:
umrgolf2000 said:

Absolutely!
Dd60

1730s is the time frame. George I was 1717-1724, then George II started a short time later.

I suspect that one won't get much better with cleaning. It's very pitted. It might even look worse when you're done. Let it air dry after the HP, will keep some of the color which might help a little.
Thanks IP iam trying to put a date on that field looks like so far late 1600,s to mid 1700,s Dd60

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepdiger60 said:
Iron Patch said:
Deepdiger60 said:
Iron Patch said:
umrgolf2000 said:

Absolutely!
Dd60

Thanks IP iam trying to put a date on that field looks like so far late 1600,s to mid 1700,s Dd60

Look for the pockets of iron. You find those and there could be some great old finds mixed in!

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Iron Patch said:
umrgolf2000 said:

Absolutely!
I thought it was a KG, but since I don't know enough colonial coins I didn't want to say that... So could this be a CTF IP?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
Iron Patch said:
umrgolf2000 said:

Absolutely!
I thought it was a KG, but since I don't know enough colonial coins I didn't want to say that... So could this be a CTF IP?

Could be, but doesn't stand out as one, and a George II Farthing is much less likely to be counterfeit than a George II halfpenny, or especially a George III.

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
creeper71 said:
Iron Patch said:
umrgolf2000 said:

Absolutely!

Could be, but doesn't stand out as one, and a George II Farthing is much less likely to be counterfeit than a George II halfpenny, or especially a George III.
After a quick HP bath and a 20X loupe i have a date its pretty hard to see by eye 1734 thats a nice oldie pitted pretty bad to :-[ there's 1 there's more :thumbsup: Dd60

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't feel too bad about thinking it was a reale, Here is a 1797 COPPER 2 Reale(Counterfeit of course) my son found about a year ago. :wink:
Further cleaning would not help your coin, it is fairly toasted, I would just soak in now in distilled water, let dry thoroughly, then coat with bees wax or something like that.

Don

Attachments

• 1797Copper2Reale.jpg
    1797Copper2Reale.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 481
  • 1797Copper2Reale.jpg
    1797Copper2Reale.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 465

Homerun04

Sep 8, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX
It is definaitely a King George II farthing...probably 1747....I have a bunch of them...there is NO doubt that this is what it is....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread